For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Alert & then falls asleep after taking morning medications Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Kathy On 2011.08.06 09:41
I've been lurking in this forum for years and everyone has great information to share. My husband, John, has had PD for 14 years. Within the last 6 - 12 months he has been totally alert & talkative when he first gets up in the morning and then after his morning meds kick in ( 1 1/2 sinemet, 1/2 comtan & 1 mg azilect) he's like a zombie. He falls asleep eating breakfast & its like a totally different person. Any helpful suggestions to this frustrating problem? Thanks so much.

By plcpainter On 2011.08.06 10:54
My husband takes his AM meds at 7 - sinemet + comtan and then goes back to sleep around 7:45 and is out until 10:30 or 11!! This is a routine every day and even when we have company he is napping. I just use this as my "alone" time to get things done and schedule any appointments for early afternoon. He's up several times a night and restless sleeper so I am guessing he needs this sleep? Lord knows I could use some too but that's a different post...

By karolinakitty On 2011.08.06 12:34
I'm with Pic....My guy has narcolepsy, a side effect of the Requip...falls asleep during meals, in conversations, I just let him be.... he very seldom, if ever, gets more than 4 hours sleep at night.... i feel he needs this rest AND he tells me that most of the time, even though he just doses off for a few minutes..it makes him feel rested.....It is just one more of those little things that pop-up, i feel anyway, just let it be.......

By Kathy On 2011.08.07 08:02
Thanks so much for your support & responses. It's great to 'let him sleep' but I still work and he needs to get up & moving to go to adult day care 3 days a week. So then what?

By karolinakitty On 2011.08.07 11:54
Don't know if this will help:

With today's technologies and phones...set alarms....we are an Apple family with iPhones, iPad and iMac.....there are many alarms you can use.... i use doescast for pills with a back up of pill reminders... you just plug in the data and set whatever time you want the alarm to go off....
Instead of drugs/meds... you could use the dosecast to set off alarms every ..say.. 15 minutes to get him up and going....it's loud and even when my guy is out in his shop all day... the text alert we have set up, wakes him up when i text him.... It's kinds like that commercial for putting the kids in a robot daycare.....my guy is still able to be in his shop without the nagging caregiver by his side BUT.... i can nag him still with the phone......lol
If you don't have an iphone any cell phone this day has alarms...and you can pick the tone....

By oshroshr On 2011.08.07 21:35
I have seen bits and pieces of all of these related sleeping and it is actually comforting to know it is somewhat normal although only normal for Parkinsons and its meds.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you