For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Abrupt Change vs Gradual Decline Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By plcpainter On 2011.08.25 01:06
Last week I posted that my husband with PD had falled 3X in one day and ended up on the ER. That led to his 2 day hospitalization and now he's in his 4th day of rehab. It almost seems like he is getting WORSE by the day! The day before his falls he was out walking and putting around the yard, then within 24 hours he is no longer ambulatory. They checked for stroke and infections but both were negative. Saw the neuro yesterday and he didn't have any answers. I asked him if this was typical of PDers to take a sudden down turn like my hubby has done. He said that it was more typical of Alzheimer suffers. He did not think my husband had Lewy Bodies either. Has anyone seen these sudden declines like this? Up until now it's been a more gradual downward slide. My husband is 79 and has had PD for 7 years but only diagnosed for 3. As always, I so appreciate this forum and the thoughtful, kind folks who share their experiences and encouragement. My best to all of you!

By susger8 On 2011.08.25 08:26
Falls that cause injury always have a bad effect on my father -- well, I guess that's a bit obvious. Hospitalization also has a bad effect -- he gets very confused and disoriented if he's out of his normal environment. General anesthesia is a problem for him and he doesn't ever seem to recover his previous level of functioning.

Sue

By lurkingforacure On 2011.08.26 23:36
My nonPD mom fell and hit her head, got a concussion, went into the hospital and then skilled nursing for rehab (where she declined very fast) and never came home. She went from getting around in her own home on a walker, dressing herself, sitting in the sun outside, making her own meals, all slowly of course, to not being able to feed herself, wearing a diaper, it was horrible. All of this within six weeks. It was devastating and I could post a lot more but won't it's too sad.

One of the nurses at the skilled nursing facility told me that when we fall, it's almost always bad. The older we are (my mom was only 76) the worse it is. She used to work with hospice and told me that many times someone would fall and then they would lose that patient within a few months. I'm not saying this will happen to you but I would try to prepare myself, I did not and it made it so much harder. I still cannot believe my strong mom could decline so much in such a short time, it's almost medically impossible but yet there it is.

If I were going to offer anything, it would be to get your loved one home if at all possible. I don't know that it would have made a difference in my situation but at least my mom would have been home where she wanted to be when she passed, and I will always regret that. When I asked to move her home, once I realized what was going to happen no matter what, they told me she would not survive the transport.

Love your husband and spend as much time with him as you can. I did do that, and am greatly comforted by it. I hope all goes well for you.

By caregivermary On 2011.08.27 08:53
lurking,

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your Mom. You are right- falls are very difficult and often will cause a significant decline. It is very tough with a parent and a husband to convince them of this.

You are in my thoughts.

By plcpainter On 2011.08.27 13:00
Dear Lurking --
I'm SO sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I really appreciate your candor and willingness to share the hard experiences you've had. It helps a lot, if only to steel myself for what is sure to come. I am realizing that losing my dear fella will probably be sooner than later...though, of course, none of us really have access to that crystal ball do we? Still, I am trying to mentally be prepared and enjoy our time together. This has always been our priority so it's just shifting the HOW we do it! I sure hate to see him have to go through all this. Breaks my heart.
I was already on the path you suggested of getting my husband home asap. Am bringing care givers into the house to help out at least 4 nights a week. That should help me be rested enough to do the rest. I think the home environment will help calm many of his anxieties and fears. Hoping so anyway!
Thanks again for your openess. I hope you find some peace in knowing your mother is no longer suffering.

By parkinit On 2011.08.31 12:24
Just something to be aware of. Was there a head injury? This is something that may easily be missed. Did they do a MRI?

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you