For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic My mother needs cataract surgery but have run into a problem Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By brainstorm On 2011.08.31 21:05
My 89 year old Mom who is unable to ambulate anymore needs cataract surgery. After jumping through hoops to get her seen by ophthalmologist, getting her eye measurements, etc. I am now being told that they will not assist her in any way to get onto the operating table if she is unable to do it herself and that she will need to bring her own help or I should put her on the table for them. Mom is under 5' tall and petite and so far shorter than average to be hopping onto a tall table. I am a sole caregiver and do not know very many people who can even be counted on the assist in this way.The reason they gave was "their insurance policy". Have any of you encountered something similar? Anyone know how the American Disabilities Act would view this?

By susger8 On 2011.09.01 09:48
Wow, that is a dilemma. My dad had cataract surgery last year, and laser eye surgery the year before, but they did not say anything to me about the operating table. I actually thought they used a tilt-back chair similar to what dentists use. My dad is somewhat ambulatory but I'm sure would have needed help getting onto an operating table -- nobody asked me to be in charge of that.

Come to think of it, my grandmother had cataract surgery when she was 101 (yes!) and could not ambulate due to a poorly-healed broken hip. Again, no mention of needing family help to get on an operating table.

That insurance issue seems nonsensical. Every doctor's office my dad goes to, the staff help get him on the exam table.

I know you wouldn't want to go through all that red tape again, but I kind of wonder if you could find another surgical facility that could cope with people with disabilities.

Sue

By parkinit On 2011.09.04 10:51
It sounds like the doctor is trying to dissuade you from doing the surgery without coming out and saying so. I would find another surgeon. Even if you forced the issue, I wouldn't want this doctor doing the procedure, because obviously, he doesn't want to. Please discuss the risks and issues in doing this with the next doctor if they also start putting up road blocks.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you