For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Food fight Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By theresa2wyoming On 2011.09.01 23:54
It seems to be a popular subject these days, but if I'm gonna get upset about something with my PD husband, it's over food. I am sure there are some who would say, "let him eat what he wants; he's the one who has to pay the consequences." The problem is that I do pay for those consequences too.
My husband got out of the hospital today, and we were fighting about food within ten minutes. In the hospital, I have the dieticians backing me up, but as soon as we stop at a gas station, he gets out and looks for what he can eat. Since he has diabetes , hbp, heart disease and gastro-perisus, his list of "can't" eats is long. I always provide him good things that he likes that he can eat at home, but he just never seems satisfied. It is a lot of work, with no thanks. If anything, it makes me the enemy.
How many hospitalizations will it take? We've had four in 14 months. He's lost a ton of weight, mostly muscle. And guess who cleans up when he pukes?

By karolinakitty On 2011.09.02 09:03
I'm stealing from a post i started about snack attacks, it was something the young sage Lohengr1n wrote:

kk, I've been thinking about the snacking thing. I don't know if this is or could be what happens butttt......I had a conversation with one of my daughters several months ago. Asking how I was doing I told Her my Neurologist said We might have to start cutting back on My med's. Upon pressing me as to why I told her I was having trouble with involuntary movement of my mouth and lips. Pressing on for a description I said it's almost like sucking on a hard candy. She said well if it bothers you just pop a candy in your mouth. So I did and boy was I going through candy fast! However this solution produces excess saliva so drooling increased. (another damned if you do, damned if you don't) I wonder if such problems could sub-consciously feed our snacking? If this dyskinesia could drive our snack urge? If somehow our brains interpret the dyskinesia as needing food in our mouth and snacking soothes this response?

It makes more sense the more I read it and could be a "tremor" or mixed signal of sorts.
It also could be the denial trigger. When some folks start a new diet, they have issues with the denial factor. By that i mean, that certain foods can bring on addictions and it effects a small number but it does happen. Preservatives, sugars and spicy foods are the most common. Our bodies can be addicted to them and they become obsessive to the mind and body. Sometimes folks being taken off certain foods need to be "weaned" rather than denied. a slow gradual decline of that food rather than a stop it immediately. I know that with gastro issues that is almost impossible but it may be something to question the doc about and see what you can find. It may mean a few months of doing what you are doing anyway but in the end it may have a better result.
Just a few thoughts.......

By susger8 On 2011.09.02 09:43
Most people with PD have a diminished sense of smell, which means not much sense of taste either. So they probably are more likely to want foods with stronger taste. Maybe "healthy" foods taste bland.

It's almost universal to have a raging sweet tooth with PD, and I've never seen any medical explanation for it.

Sue

By cmonge On 2011.09.05 12:10
My husband does the same thing. I can't keep up with his snack attacks and food issues. Basically I give up. I don't have the strength to argue with him anymore. Let his doctor do it.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you