For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic PD and sleep apnea Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LotsaBob On 2011.09.15 11:09
I went to see my neuro in Sacramento Tuesday at the VA. I have been having some severe pain in both legs. He said it was neuropathy. It goes from my feet all the way to my thighs. He said that it was moderate. Gosh, if it was moderate I would hate to see what severe neuropathy would be like. The pain that I have I can hardly stand. Anyway, to my topic. The neuro asked if I had Sleep Apnea and I said yes. He told my wife and I that my Sleep Apnea could have been caused by my PD. Is that right that there is a link between Sleep Apnea and PD?

By karolinakitty On 2011.09.15 15:56
LotsaBOB

Believe it or not we are doing the same thing..

Went to see our new neuro Tuesday and our new orders are:

Nerve Conductive Study for neuropathy
Sleep Apnea Test.....

My guy has REM sleep disorder..they consider that a prelim to LBD of the Plus diseases....so i can see where it may be caused by or a prelim to PD...we have bucked this test since being diagnosed with PD but are finally giving in ..just to get it over with.......

It is just my opinion but Sleep Apnea is the latest in diseases that everyone has to have.. it is the answer to all things possible....I don't trust it's reality. The CPAP's are expensive and not all insurances cover them....and we all know the sleep patterns of Pder's I honestly can't see my guy wearing that thing to bed to help him sleep when he doesn't sleep anyway.....plus the fact that getting that thing off to hurry to the bathroom might cause even more issues..

SLeep Apnea is basically ...a reduction or pause in your breathing patterns during sleep... i think they figure over time enough oxygen has been lost in the brain to cause damage...I really didn't research it but glanced over it....If left untreated they say it causes high blood pressure, daytime sleepiness, diabetes, stroke and some other stuff....

I have to go back to the main "cause" of PD....not enough dopamine....how does this relate to Apnea..I'm not sure but I sure do question it...

By parkinit On 2011.09.16 20:32
Not sure, but my husband has sleep apnea.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you