For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Kidney disease Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2011.10.01 16:17
Has anyone had the kidney's go out on a loved one AFTER a few years being diagnosed?

The CT scan, blood and urine did not come back so good. We have to see a nephrologist(kidney doctor) soon, I don't know at this point exactly what's up, we see our doc next week but just curious if this is a result of the disease.

I know NOW, that Requip can cause renal failure and other kidney issues, and after NOT being tested for 2.5 years on it, I don't know if it is the Requip.....

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.10.01 19:43
kk, I do know that some medicine that came out several years ago was supposed to be monitored closely with tests for kidney failure. Off the top of my head I don't recall the name of it but at the time it was cautioned and recommended testing be done every 6 months. I'm sure that there are too many "out there" who have run into this problem.

By karolinakitty On 2011.10.01 23:39
I found a post I made here almost a year ago about the renal failure and Requip....That's when I found out the neuro should have been testing him every 6 months....now we are at a place where I think it is too late....like I said I don't know details of the test results but just they wanted an appointment with the nephrologist asap....I'm seriously thinking a call to a lawyer may be in our future if neglect in this area on the docs part led to this kidney issue.....maybe i'm putting the cart before the horse, but, this neuro wrote him off and didn't do ANY testing except an initial blood workup and one to check for potassium levels before wanting to put him on cymbalta...which we asked our PCP to take us off of.....this neuro never expected him to ever pass a memory test or be as determined as my guy is to not let it beat him down.....well, his cognitive issues are better and he still fights like hell to keep himself as active as possible.....
I guess I'm a little angry, for one thing, Parkie's don't need an added disease due to the neglect of a health care professional, and my guy doesn't need to be going to dialysis(if that be the case) on top of everything else...

By buffsrich On 2011.10.03 09:50
Well here's another one for you... my MIL has this problem. In fact it's put her in the hospital 2 times in the last 2 months. Seems like when she get's cleaned out with dialysis she's ok and then the toxins gradually build back up and we're at the hospital once again. She's also taking requip. Not as much as before but still taking it. At least your guy still has some life left in him. I'm afraid my MIL is not going to be around much longer but I've been told this before by the docs and 2 years later she's still here.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you