For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic medications and memory loss Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2011.10.09 12:55
I tried umpteen gazillion times to do this and each time it came out a different way other than the way I wanted it to...Soooooooo

If you can follow this: Its a list of common medications that according to John Hopkins, may cause memory side effects......It tells the type of drug the generic and brand name...it looks good in the message body as I type it but it comes out goofy on the forum..sorry...I paid for these papers so there is no issues with plagiarism.....

Type of drug Generic Brand
Analgesic Meperdine Codeine
Demerol, Florinal

Antianxiety Alpraolam Xanax
Diazepam Valium
Lorazepam Ativan
Oxazepam Serax
Temazapem Restoril
Triazolam Halcion

Antibiotics Cephalexin Keflex
Ciprofloxacin Cipro
Metronidazone Flagyl

Antidepressants--Amitriptyline--Elavil
Imipramine Trofanil

Antihistamines-Diphenhydramine-
Benadryl

Antinausea Hydroxyzine Atarax
Meclizine Antivert
Metoclopramide Reglan
Prochlorperazine Compazine

Antihypertensives- Atenolol Tenormin
Hydrochlrothiazide Dyazide
Lotensin Benaxepril
Metoprolol Toprol

Antipsychotics-Chlorpromazine-Thorazine
Haloperidol Haldol
Thioridazine Mellaril

Antiulcer Rantidine Zantac
Cimetidine Tagamet

Hormone-Levothyroxine sodiumSynthroid
Pain Hydrocodone Vicodin
Meperidine Demerol
Parkinsonís Amantadine Symmetrel
Seizure Carbamezepine Tegretol
Gapapentin Neurontin
Sleep Meds -Valproic Acid Depakote
Zolpidem Ambien
Steroids Prednisone Prednisone

By parkinit On 2011.10.09 14:43
Good list. Many are known to interract with PD drugs to begin with and should be avoided.

By karolinakitty On 2011.10.09 21:08
Yeah Parknit....most of these are on my drugs to avoid put out by APDA....

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.10.09 23:34
One not on Your list that impairs memory is Artane.

By mylove On 2011.10.09 23:49
The worst part of it is that it isn't consistent, either. Some people can take some of these drugs with absolutely no problems whatsoever, others have horrendous interactions and/or side effects. At least we have a jumping-off point for what to look out for. Thanks for posting!

By karolinakitty On 2011.10.10 10:41
They used the words "common drug" so I guess Artane isn't as common..lol..there's probably a few more out there....
They also stated in the preamble comments to this list that the effect of memory loss from these drugs may not be seen immediately. While some medications show immediate signs of memory loss, others in this list do not show sings until years of taking them....
It is a jumping off point and one to keep in the back of our heads....especially if a loved one all of a sudden is dealing with memory loss issues.....like we always say is it the disease or the drugs....

I think we should start a campaign with that slogan for PD....
Parkinson's Disease: Disease or Side Effects!!!!!!!

By parkinit On 2011.10.11 11:32
ARTANE! Yes, it should be avoided - for us anyway. A few days after being put on Artane, my spouse had a gun and was headed out in the yard to kill "those fighting armadillos!" Nope, no fighting armadillos.

With the support of our home health nurse, I removed the Artane. My spouse was angry that I removed it because these were not delusions to him, but reality.

The scariest part? When we went back to the GP and he was told about the Artane, he asked, "who prescribed Artane for him?" I kindly asked the doctor not to prescribe neurological drugs for my spouse, to let the neurologist do this.

By CCl948 On 2011.10.30 14:04
Thanks for the list. It was a good point does the drug cause the side effect or PD. I wish the doctor's did know for sure but they are working on it.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you