For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic caregiver burnout rate? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By tarpon On 2011.10.26 17:38
Hi all,

My mom has Parkinsons, she was diagnosed 6 years ago. Luckily we have Long Term Care insurance as long as she is in the home. THerefore, we have a caregiver service that supplies 24 x7 care.

It seems that every 2 years the care giver that is assigned to mom seems to start acting up and either quits or is fired. I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this and if 2 years is normal before the caregivers burn out and decide to move on?

Thanks,

By susger8 On 2011.10.27 08:11
We also have a live-in caregiver for my dad. He works for an agency and gets every other weekend off -- there is a regular weekend reliever who is the same guy for a long time.

Dad's first caregiver lasted about a year and a half, the second about 2 years. The current one has been there almost 2 years and is starting to take longer and longer weekends, so I think he is getting a bit burned out too. I know he needs the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves soon.

Dad is usually cooperative and not as hard to care for as some people might be, but it's a very tough job and I give a lot of credit for those who do it as a paid job. (Needless to say, those who do it for love are triple saints in my book.)

Sue

By tarpon On 2011.10.27 22:00
Thanks susger8 for your reply. It is an amazing job these caregivers do and from what I've experienced and what you've written I'm assuming the burnout rate is about 2 years max. I totally get it.

Unfortunately my siblings seem to think that Mary Poppins is out there and will stay forever. I beg to differ though.

Caregivers are a blessing.

By parkinit On 2011.10.30 18:43
Your average caregiver is a CNA. I read some statistics this past week about CNAs that may shed some light on why they may chose, after a period of time, a different career. On the average, caregivers in nursing homes are assaulted 9 times a month by those they care for.

We do it for love and will take the abuse, neglect, underpayment and excessive work hours. Caregivers don't have to take all this if they can find a different career.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you