For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Confused/Dementia Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Michele On 2011.10.31 13:52
My sweet husband has been showing signs of dementia for a while. Lately he has confusion about how to do simple things - like - when he's in the living room he can't remember how to get to the bathroom - how to get up from his power chair and get onto the toilet - needs step by step coaching on taking his meds, like put the pill in your mouth, swallow some juice, etc. Anyone know what this is or had something similar?

By Mshope On 2011.10.31 17:54
My husband is just beginning to get confused and his logic and sense of direction are beginning to fade. It is really scary as I didn't know this is a common effect of PD.

By susger8 On 2011.11.01 07:58
Unfortunately, it is pretty common. It can be related to the meds, or it can be part of the disease (or both). It's also common that being in an unfamiliar environment, like a hospital, increases disorientation greatly.

For many, it's worse than the more physical aspects of the disease.

Sue

By abp0822 On 2011.11.04 09:08
My father has PD-related dementia. He uses an Excelon patch which helps. He tried Aricept but couldn't tolerate the side affects.

You might want to discuss adding Excelon or Aricept to his medication regimen with his doctor.

By Michele On 2011.11.04 17:10
Thank you all for your replies. I did speak to his neuro this week. We are looking at eliminating some meds and talked about Aricept as a last resort. I know that dementia is common especially for late stage Parkinsons which is where my husband is. His neuro told us that dementia comes in many forms depending on which area of the brain is affected. This latest development is something that I've never heard of before. So far, this has not affected my ability to care for him at home with the help of an aide, but I worry about the future. I dearly want to keep him in our home. I know I can handle the physical issues, and there are many, but serious dementia is a whole different ballgame.

By karolinakitty On 2011.11.04 21:25
Michele....I did a whole series on the board here on memory and dementia....you might try some of those ideas... my guy was the same way almost 2 years ago...

With the help of aricept and many of the ideas i listed... he is much better today than he was before.....I can leave him alone and not worry about what he might do or if he might not be able to do everyday tasks.....

By parkinit On 2011.11.06 00:31
Our doctor started my spouse on Aricept, but once he realized what it was for, he stopped taking it because he refuses to acknowledge that he has any signs of dementia.

Michele, I feel for you. Your situation sounds very difficult. We are just to the point where I keep track of when my spouse takes the pills and then I deliver them in a spoon with applesauce (dysphagia issues). If I tried to leave them for him to take, he will become distracted and forget to take them. We have to take care of so much. I think to myself sometimes, I'm doing good to take care of me and remember what I have to do for the day, but remembereing for two people now . . . Oh, my!

By karolinakitty On 2011.11.06 10:31
on a somewhat lighter side....parknit...my guy teases me all the time by saying "Who has dementia?"...i have a tendency to forget things once in a while...well...maybe a little more.... but I always tell him, that I am now thinking for 2, so it's twice as much memory being used...like 1 computer trying to jam in the memory for 2...it just bogs down and doesn't retain everything...lol

By Michele On 2011.11.07 10:41
KK, you are a warrior for Parkinsons Caregivers. I'm reading your posts on dementia. Great information. I'm still digesting it. Thanks so much.

parkinit, thank you for your kind words. As hard as the physical caregiving is, the dementia caregiving is so much harder.

p.s. to both, how do you find the time to do all of this? I barely have time to read the posts regularly.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you