For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic gone but still here Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By chroop67 On 2011.11.13 12:04
My mom was diagonosed about 15 years ago. I had been caregiving for both of parents to some degree prior to my dads death 2years ago. When he passed away mom declined and my role dramatically changed. I am the youngest of four and have always had the best relationship with my parents. After dad passed and we(my husband and me) had to look after all legal/financial aspects it opened up a hornets nest and my siblings have basically stepped out of the picture. I looked after mom in her home for almost a year, this involved me checking in on her at least 3 times a day. Needless to say I was not able to work due to the increasing needs of my mom. We had homecare come in when she started to mess with her meds but she refused to let them bathe her. Many a day I walked into a mess and had to 'clean' her up. There were some indications of dementia but def. depression too. Finally with the help of a geriatric assessment doc. we had her admitted to a wonderful program, in hospital, where they assessed her for three months. They assessed her as requiring admittance to a nursing home and thankfully she was admitted a year ago to one very close to us. She broke her leg from a fall after being there 2 months, this has left her in a wheelchair most of the time, even though she can still walk with a walker. The greatest challenge is by far her mental state, she does not recognize the reality of her condition, refuses to ask for help and she is hyper paranoid and hallucinates. She is often incontinent and will wet the bed but won't buzz for help and will instead wrap everything up and hide it somewhere in the room.....so gross!! I visit her often and she calls me several times a day but I feel like I am talking with a stranger. I am exhausted!!! Her conversation also becomes very sexual, not my mom, and she has lost her ability to reason. She will often call me when she is having a panic attack and there is no way to convince her that what she is thinking is not true. She is, in so many ways, gone but still here.

By packerman On 2011.11.14 10:45
we talk about some of the same issues in our monthly Caregiver Support meetings. do you have a similar group you can attend?
our group has adult children caring for parents with Alzheimers as well as spouses caring for spouses with various health issues (including PD).
it has been very helpful for me to see others coping with what they are.
sometimes we brainstorm ideas and sometimes our group leader brings in speakers as resources.

yes, sometimes caregiving can be overwhelming.
hugs,
Pat

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you