For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Lift and Recline Chair for Sleeping Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By barb On 2011.11.19 14:13
Does anyone have any experience with a lift and recline chair for sleeping? I'm looking at the maxicomfort series golden technology. My husband gets little or no sleep at night so therefore I get little or no sleep. I'm hoping this might help since he says he can't get comfortable in bed and therefore he is falling all over the house. I'm exhausted. We can't seem to get the meds right!

By parkinit On 2011.11.19 20:00
My husband's sister (who also had Parkinson's) used a lift/recline chair for sleeping in. Apparently, it worked for her.

By plcpainter On 2011.11.19 21:25
A couple thoughts on getting rest, as we too have fought this aspect of PD care. My husband with PD can no longer roll to his side so sleeping is limited to lying on his back. He uses 3 pillows to keep semi-propped up. We found he gets a lot better night's rest and longer sleep time with a small, hard pillow under his calves that keep his heels off the bed. Second help was when he started on Seroquel at night. It took away many of the vivid dreams he was having and helped relieve his anxiety. (Note: Relieve not alleviate!) Third help has been Tylenol PM -- he takes 2 tabs (325 mg each) at bedtime and it seems to help with minor pains. Finally, and most importantly, I have hired night time caregivers who come in 3X a week from 9 pm to 9 am so I can get uninterrupted sleep. It is amazing how soundly I sleep when I'm not "on duty". Oh...I finally had to give up sleeping with my dear husband and moved into the guest room with a baby monitor. That has helped a lot. Sad but necessary if I wasn't going to drop from exhaustion. Hope this helps. Hang in there and be open to new paradigms! :)

By Marie On 2011.11.20 10:52
My husband who has late stage Parkinson's and I bought an adjustable king size bed frame. Its wonderful for both of us. You can raise the head or the legs or both and it has 2 separate mattresses, so we can still sleep together. Its pricy but well worth the money.

By lvmymom On 2011.12.04 17:56
BEDS
I bought a hospital bed on Craigs List and saved a lot of money and it worked perfectly. It is nice in later stages too, because the sides come up and keep them from falling out of bed. Beds are adjustable and the mattresses are waterproof.

They can be raised or lowered. Lowered for easy in and out. Raised for easy dressing and changing.

CHAIRS
We also had a recliner/lift chair in the front room for when parents weren't in bedroom. I bought a new one but sold ours on Craigs list. It was in perfect condition at 1/4 the price.

Good luck.

By trapper On 2011.12.05 23:02
Barb:

We bought two of the Lift and Recliner chairs for my wife a couple of years ago. She used the one for sleeping but the Home Care Nurse advsed her to get a Hospital Bed instead ---as people have a propensity to get bed sore using the lift and recliner chairs.

My wife now uses the Hospital-Bed that Home Care Program have supplied.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you