For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Shouting during sleep Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2011.12.07 13:22
My husband will sometimes yell out in his sleep or start talking. He's on Sinemet. Is this due to PD or the Sinemet? Is this something he should bring to the neurologist's attention?

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.12.07 14:32
LC, It could be medication or the Parkinson's or both. It is pretty common, mentioning it to the Doctor couldn't hurt. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By cgold On 2011.12.07 19:01
This is very common. Wait until he begins laughing in his sleep.

By susger8 On 2011.12.08 07:56
We found that melatonin at bedtime helped with my dad's nightmares and yelling.

Sue

By drshepard On 2012.01.20 20:45
My husband not only yells when he is asleep, he throws punches mid-air, threw a chair, and once grabbed me thinking I was his deceased brother who was an intruder. He also ran down the hall (interesting way from somewith with PD) because a bomb was going to go off. After a sleep study, he was diagnosed with a REM-sleep disorder. We have slept apart for a year (as newlyweds no less). But, he was recently prescribed Clonapin and the yelling has stopped. The physician from the sleep center said that REM sleep disorders often co-occur with PD and can be a precursor for the disease.

By Lynnie2 On 2012.01.23 14:41
My husband sometimes yells in his sleeps and laughs too. He hasn't hit me for a while but that only happened once. Now I try not to sleep facing him anymore. He jerks a lot too but I don't think that's the medication.
They gave him a pill which I forget what they were called for the jerking but it made him sleep all morning and feel lousy and that was worse than putting up with the jerking. The doctor thought he would sleep better at night but it didn't really.

By megnut On 2012.03.06 11:18
My 'lady' does a great deal of talking, crying out, and laughing in her sleep, too. I just thought it was her nature, but after reading these posts I think it may be the PD. It is very very interesting that during the day, she cannot make herself be heard above a whisper (was told it was the Parkinsons at work) but while asleep, her vocal chords are very powerful indeed.

By parkinit On 2012.03.07 22:15
Yes, yelling and laughing and less frequently fighting/flailing arms. Being at a point where there is not much to laugh about for him, I love to hear the laughter, because it is so joyful and carefree.

Sometimes I lay and watch him after he has awakened me and his mouth moves like he is talking, but he doesn't saying anything out loud. I find this quite humorous.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you