For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sleeping for Days - Part II Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Michele On 2011.12.23 20:29
thanks to all for your feedback and advice. here's the thing, my husband's sleep is very deep. I can arouse him to take meds and get a few bites of food and sips of liquid. Then he falls back asleep. he canot keep his eyes open. then, last Wens afternoon, he had been sleeping for four days. I could not wake him up no matter what I did. I called his neuro and then 911 to take him to the ER. He did not rouse until he was on an IV for an hour. Even then, he was not fully awake. The doc in the hospital believes that he was dehydrated which could cause his symptoms because there was no way to get enough fluid into him while sleeping for four days. Of course they also did blood and urine cultures to check for infection, a CT scan of his head and chest x ray. He was admitted to continue fluids, get more stable and wait for culture results. The next morning I met with the hospital doc and incredibally got our neuro on the phone and the two docs were able to consult. A Christmas miracle. They came up with a plan to increase the dosage of Nuvigil which he had just started. Hopefully Nuvigil will keep him from getting so tired (for Narcoleptics and not approved for PD but is used off label). He could have come home today, fri, except his bood culture showed some contamination and they took another culture to make sure he didn't have an infection (which could also explain the excessive sleep).
The doc in the hospital was good. She talked to me for a long time and told me that Hank is in end stage of Parkinson's. Our Neuro told us that 15-20% of PD patients have this sleep problem. These episodes are going to keep recurring. She explained options, like whether to use a feeding tube or not in the future. So, when Hank is home and doing well, we have to have that conversation. He has a living will that states that he wants no artifical means to prolong life. But, I want to make sure that he still wants this. I hope he doesn't. SO, I'm starting to grieve his loss again. The reality that he will no longer be with me. I'm so busy now I can push this to the back of my mind and stay in denial for a while until the thoughts break through again. Hopefully he does ot have an infection (I think it is unlikely or he would not be doing as well as he is in the hospital now) and he can come home tomorrow on Christmas eve.

By Michele On 2011.12.25 06:17
My sweet husband did come home on Christmas Eve. What a beautiful gift. He was back to his old self right away. He woke up at 5:30 this Christmas morning hungry and had some waffles and went back to sleep. I am so grateful. Merry Christmas to all and thank you for being here.

By parkinit On 2011.12.25 21:17
Michele -
So happy that you had your guy back for Christmas. Hang in there, friend.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you