For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Reminder of last stage decisions Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2011.12.25 11:23
For those having to deal with decisions about end of life choices, dont' forget about water/hydration. We all know about the feeding tube and different circumstances where that might be an issue (see your particular state's or hospital's prepared form for more info), living will, power of attorney, will and all of that, but I was totally unprepared for the hydration issue. And it will be an issue if a loved one is in an end stage of any illness.

I had to deal with it when my mom was in septic shock and actively dying, as they told me, and we had never discussed water. I've posted about this nightmare here earlier so you can search for my post on it. I would never want anyone to have to experience the hellish second-guessing I did and it could have all been avoided had my mom and I just talked about hydration when we were discussing feeding tubes and all the rest of those issues.

If I had it to do over again, I would actually pay for a meeting with a hospice representative and have them list all of the awful decisions that MIGHT have to be made in the worst case scenario, and then I would talk about those with my loved one so that we could put his/her wishes into the proper format and everyone would know what to do. That is such a burden lifted, to know what your loved one wants.

By lvmymom On 2012.01.03 18:36
Good idea!

My mother's choices changed as time went on. So it is an ongoing conversation. What one wants at the begining of the journey may be a lot different than at the end. It was in our case.

But your idea to "know" ahead what might be ahead is very wise. We too were hit off-guard as prepared as we thought we were.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you