For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic nausea? a new symptom - what to do? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By housemouse On 2012.01.10 17:46
My husband has developed nausea - every day now for the past 5 days.

I have been offering ginger, ginger ale, crackers, etc. Any other ideas?

By Pearly4 On 2012.01.10 18:57
Have you consulted with his physician? Could be medication - but I'd want to first rule out some other medical illness. A UTI, gastrointestinal bug, any number of other things can cause nausea. Not to say that it couldn't be directly or indirectly related to Parkinson's, but he is susceptible to all the regular bugs as well!

By housemouse On 2012.01.10 19:03
Have a call into his neuro, but having a hard time getting a call back.

I pray that I am wrong, but I fear his neuro is either too busy, or is tired of my husband's complicated problems.

It is harder and harder to get an appointment, or a call back when I put a voice mail in to his secretary. This is scary to me, because of all the internet rumors of how anyone over 70 is only going to get "comfort care".

His last hospital stay was so difficult, and he just got home from rehab. And, here we go again.

I could just cry.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.01.10 20:10
housemouse, Has your Husband changed anything with His medicine? By that I mean since you got him home after the hospital and rehab? Or during that time? The general rule in using Carba/ L-Dopa is to take it an hour before meals or eating anything to give it time to make it to the intestine for absorption. However some people become nauseous when taking it on an empty stomach. I myself am one of these people and will experience nausea unless I take it with something (even a couple of crackers helps). If this is the case try a couple of crackers or cookies when he takes his dosage, see if it helps. Sometimes things as simple as a small change like that could lead to running multiple tests and cause stress while trying to figure out what is happening. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By housemouse On 2012.01.10 22:09
Thank you, Loe.

They have changed changed his Carba/L-Doba to 5 times a day, 2 and 1/2 tabs. Before the hospital, it was 2 tabs 4 times a day. The dosage is 25/100.

I suspect that it is the increase, and have suggested that he decrease the dosage to 2 tabs 5 times, but that is just until I can get the neuro to call me back.

I am slightly annoyed that he didn't get to see his primary neuro in the hospital, or in rehab, so we are flying blind here.

Is this the consequence of Owhammer care? The docs no longer have time to see us, or return our calls?

For whatever it is worth, the flushing and anxiety seem better to me, but he says he is trying to spare me the whining about them.

I hate Parkinson's. How can I be a good caregiver when DH seems to be a hot potato that no Doc wants to deal with?

Am taking him to the psychiatrist tomorrow, maybe he will have an answer, but I doubt it. Everyone wants to pass the buck. So sad.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.01.10 23:06
housemouse,

I dont' know if this will help you, but this is what we do.

We split up our sinemet into half doses more frequently. For example, we take 3-4 a day, and instead of one every 3 hours, will take half of one every hour and a half.

What this does is keep the level of sinemet more level, because you are taking it more frequently, and avoids the large peaks and valleys we would otherwise get with taking an entire pill at once. Our neuro said this was the best way to take it, although he said taking it like this was really hard to keep track of and none of his other patients could or would do it. We do, as we have noticed how much better things are with this schedule. We take our mirapex the same way, split into twice as many doses throughout the day, for more even blood levels.

Because you don't have the spikes, as our neuro calls it, the nausea may be less or may even go away altogether.

It's a $#@! to keep track of the doses, but you can get a timer or even an app now for a smartphone to remind you of the next dose. Hope this helps.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.01.11 00:01
housemouse, I'm glad the anxiety is better. We've touched in past on anxiety here and if it's Parkinson's Disease related or medicine related? Over the weekend I was rereading a book I have that was printed in 1986. It talked about our autonomic nervous system, it controls things our body does subconsciously to keep us "running". Without getting too technical there are two subsystems at work one speeds us up the other slows us down. They produce a constant series of adjustments like stimulating adrenal activity to avoid harm or danger and to calm us, steady us and quell anxiety. In Parkinson's Disease these signals are faulty. Rereading this and considering the date published it is common medical knowledge, has been since before 1986, So how come when We bring up anxiety to our Doctors they don't just come out and say it is to be expected as it is most likely related to our disease? I'm just wondering why they seem to leave us adrift floundering with these issues? Anyone have any thoughts as to the why of this?

By housemouse On 2012.01.12 20:46
The neuropsych doc suggested Zofran for the nausea, and seemed pleased that I decided to cut his Sinemet down a bit, but made it clear that he didn't want to tread on the Parkinson's neuro's toes.

I am thinking that my husband's major problem is that he just can't accept the idea that he will never feel "normal" again.

If the Klonapin takes away his anxiety and flushing, he complains that he feel too "foggy", and doesn't like the side effects. When I remind him that he doesn't like feeling overwhelmed by anxiety either, he gets upset.

He isn't a happy camper, because he has this obsessive idea that there is a medication solution out there, even though the docs have tried everything they can.

How to get him to accept that he has a miserable disease, and that there are only tradeoffs between sets of unpleasant side effects, I have no clue.

He doesn't want to exercise, do physical therapy, have counseling, etc. He just wants to feel normal, and can't wrap his head around the concept that there isn't magic pill to solve his non-motor symptoms.

He makes both of us miserable! As usual, all advice is welcome.

P.S. I am using the alarm clock on the iPhone to keep track of the dosage times. I am a bit nervous about deviating from the dosages and times prescribed, but I have cut back because of the nausea.

Does everyone eventually "wing it" to figure out what works for them, and ignore what the Parkinson's docs prescribe?

By lurkingforacure On 2012.01.12 21:09
Pretty much....although most good neuros know that meds are a different balance for everyone so they give you a script but let you sort of play with how you dispense it throughout the day. We've had a script for 5 sinemet daily for years but have never taken that many, it's for "just in case" which I think most neuros would rather you have too much drug on hand than not enough. Can you imagine the hell that would break loose if you didn't have your PD meds? Talk about panic, we've been there when "we" forgot to let me know the bottle was empty and it's horrifying for everyone.

It's best to stick to the schedule you come up with once you come up with it, we have found changing the timing from one dose to another once you have a schedule is not good, just our experience.

By housemouse On 2012.01.12 21:24
Thank you so much, this is helpful, and encourages me to work harder on helping my husband find the right amount at just the right time.

Not that he will agree - he has some pretty unreasonable expectations - (like he wants to sleep all night long, but doesn't want to have to stay up late or wake up too early)

"He should never feel anxiety, flushing, or nausea, and should never feel foggy, sleepy, or tired." In his mind, anyway!

(I trust I am among friends here.)

I have moments when I would like to take him and his expectations, and chuck them out the window! Why can't he get his head wrapped around the idea that there is no escape, no way to avoid the problems caused by this crummy illness.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.01.12 23:47
Sometimes I think it's advertising that makes people feel that there are or is a medication "out there" some where that the minute you take it you feel all better and suffer no ill or after effects from it. We're bombarded with pain pills that they take in commercials and go from not being able to walk to running with the dog on the beach, flu medication once taken immediate relief. A drink to keep Us alert for five hours and a pill to lull Us to sleep at bed time and giving up to eight full hours of slumber. This advertising works, people believe it and buy products. Then unfortunately when a disease comes along like P.D., ALS, MS and the like We think there must be a pill somewhere that will work on this. I don't know just a thought I could be way off base but watching those ads over and over again day after day they do have an effect that the drug companies want or they wouldn't be on. And Yes you are among friends here even if we do have a disagreement from time to time among ourselves, We're all in this together.

By karolinakitty On 2012.01.13 00:21
Housemouse....we had issues with nausea and watched the amount of proteins we ate around the times of the dosages... in fact it was so bad there for a while we were doing one day on and one day off of proteins all together....this also worked..we have a script for 25/100 3-4 times a day I spread it out and work it around the requipXL also...

Since you do have an iPhone there is an app called Dosecast..I have been using it several years now and love it... It's free and very easy to set up..you put in the drug, amount and set up your times...that easy...PLUS..you have all the drugs listed in case of emergency and you don't have a list with you...right now we have about 14 drugs listed including vitamins/minerals...

Yes we play with our meds..all the time....always making adjustments....dystonia has become a real concern and I have yet made another adjustment in meds and dystonia has eased a little.....right now just trying to get him over pneumonia...

can you get him to read a few posts here that maybe he would understand there is no quick fix???? Or do you know someone else in you area that has PD, perhaps they can help him understand that too... OR someone in a professional caregiving role....as our FPN says..there is no magic wand for anything......

By parkinit On 2012.01.14 18:28
HM -
On your husband believing there is a cure - frankly, this doesn't surprise me. My spouse frequently has certain things he is delusional about. It is small things sometimes, but they certainly qualify as "delusional." It took me awhile to figure this out. He believes certain things to be truths and no convincing I can do can sway him. Even if he appears to agree at one point, he always takes the same false belief path which qualifies him as delusional. I've decided I cannot change this as it is part of the PD.
Has no one else had this experience? It may be a fact about what he believed he saw a few weeks ago or what someone said. Once he believes he saw it or someone said it a certain way, there is no convincing him otherwise.

I've learned to just let it go and not try to convince him otherwise as it is like butting my head against a brick wall.

KK - Thanks for the info on Dosecast. There is also an app called "Itriage" which is quite helpful.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you