For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Dr Terry Wahls? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By MarthaJ On 2012.01.20 15:34
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for awhile, reading posts, and just registered.

My DH was dx almost 2 years ago and I've been doing some reading about Parkinson's. Anyway, a few days ago I saw this video on wimp:
http://wimp.com/mindingmitochondria/

Dr. Wahls was totally laid up due to MS, and changed her diet, and now can walk again. She indicated on the video that MS and Parkinson's and other neuro diseases need food to help the brain work correctly.

I wondered if any of you have tried this diet lifestyle?

Martha

By karolinakitty On 2012.01.20 19:52
If I am not mistaken it was "lurkingfor acure" who has tried this or at least looked into it.....

I also know someone else who looked into it but her husband wouldn't follow through as there is from what I remember her saying a lot of raw veggies included in that diet or at least a diet with some portion being raw. However there was a smoothie that her husband loved from this diet that he continues to use and he insists it gives him energy.

Also..I'd like to add that certain conditions allow for certain foods that you can indeed eat and other conditions that you can't do these diets. I believe she says it can be used by PD patients. I myself have a background in dietetics/food service and we went against this diet because of the nutritional value to PD patients....rather than go into a long cerebral dissertation...there were certain vitamins and minerals lacking that PD patients needed...

If it's something that interests you and your DH than i say go for it and try it..everyone is different and everyone handles this disease different

By lurkingforacure On 2012.01.21 23:44
marthaj,

we did try this but it is very very hard to follow....we have young kids and a PD husband who is horrible at snacking at night after we have all gone to bed. we've tried it twice, and just could not stick to it.

while on it, though, we all felt better! I believe if you read her book you'll see she was on the diet for many months (I think 9?) before she began to see improvement....also she was doing extensive exercise AND electronic muscle stimulation. I have read she is trying to duplicate her approach with other MSers and the initial results are promising. I have no idea what that means but it sounds good. I'd go to some MS sites and forums and read up there to see what the latest is on this approach.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.01.22 00:28
Also, another thing to consider is that MS can go into remission whereas P.D. doesn't. Eating healthy is good for everyone however these are two different diseases and so their prognosis is different and progression. M.S. can also plateau out and not progress further but Parkinson's Disease continues to progress. Just some thoughts to keep in mind when weighing these matters. So by all means give it a try if you wish to. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By MarthaJ On 2012.01.22 19:39
Thanks everyone!

Martha

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you