For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sudden improvement Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By rmshea On 2012.01.24 13:45
A couple of weeks ago, we moved MIL into assisted living. We also bought that talking alarm med reminder. As we were cleaning out her old apartment, we found dozens and dozens of pills tucked away, some in the garbage and I recognize some colors as being a year or more old. After a few days in asst. living, she's like a different person--talking with animation, laughing, gesturing while talking, etc. She's still forgetful but the change is remarkable. Also, she is getting 2 decent meals a day now (she won't get up for breakfast). There is no medicine dispensed to her; I'm setting up a week's worth at a time and different family members are calling her to remind in addition to the alarm. Since diagnosis, she has never been this good. Since PD is progressive, this has thrown me for a loop. Is it a honeymoon period? Has anyone gone through this before?

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.01.24 15:15
Sounds like She is taking Her medicine and responding to it to Me. Hopefully She notices the difference and will keep on taking it! Just a thought if you can perhaps record her like She is even just a few short minutes so if in the future She decides She doesn't need to take Her med's you can then show her just how much better she can function if she takes them? It's worth a shot anyway and better to be able to show and tell then just tell. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By susger8 On 2012.01.25 07:41
I remember when my dad first had a live-in health aide who made sure he took his meds, he had a long period when he was much improved. When he was on his own he was pretty haphazard about the meds (plus he was eating nothing but junk). Meds and nutrition are important--and possibly the pleasant surroundings and more social interaction at the assisted living place could help also.

Sue

By rmshea On 2012.01.25 18:16
Ok we'll just be glad for the improvement. She was living on pop, chocolate candy, and potato chips with the occasional cheeseburger before. There is no candy/pop vending machine in this place and since it is very expensive, she has very little spending $. Honestly she hasn't been this good in more than 10 yrs.

By rmshea On 2012.02.01 22:56
A p.s. to original post. Cat bit her, it got infected, she's been in hospital since Friday. She is not only confused, but acting very childishly--chuckling, can't remember what she just said; short term memory even worse than before. The PT wants her in rehab, but they aren't sure she's cognitively able to go back to assisted living. I guess we'll wait and see. Hospital care has been great. So, is it possible that the move to asst. living, the infection, the hospital stay have overwhelmed her and she needs time to settle down to a 'new' normal or is she permanently like this? She's 83, has had PD for at least 12-14 yrs, diagnosed 5 yrs ago.

By susger8 On 2012.02.02 07:09
I've found that my father became very disoriented and confused when he was hospitalized. He improved when he came home.

There are assisted living facilities that have a special area for people with dementia. My husband's uncle was in one -- I thought it was great. They took care of him until he died. I was so glad that they didn't kick him out into a hospital when he took a turn for the worse.

Sue

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you