For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Another nutty idea????? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2012.01.26 08:07
I know ya'll think I'm half nuts, but now for something really "nutty"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZZOR-Qd3QSg

check it out though....and remember that it is GOOOOOOOOD cholesterol

Now i know this works....tried to get my honey to do it a while back but he HATES coconut and anything to do with it...when I did all my research on Dementia this i was one little tidbit I kept to myself. Today my guy was doing his youtube thing and found it.. and said HEY lets try it.....ok.....hehe

By sunshine On 2012.01.26 14:25
Thank you! I just finished watching and it sounds like it is definitely worth a try. Who would have thought.

By rmshea On 2012.01.26 21:15
Wow..seems easy and safe enough to give it a go.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.01.26 22:12
I think I've posted about coconut oil here before but remember you have to use the non-refined version. It's relatively inexpensive and most health food stores have organic coconut oil that has not been refined or processed.

You can add it to smoothies, use it in place of butter or oil in muffin recipes, cook with it, it's very versatile. Just remember it solidifies at room temperature!

By lurkingforacure On 2012.01.26 22:14
You all might also want to take a look at Dr. Newport's website, very informative:

http://www.coconutketones.com/

By parkinit On 2012.02.15 09:21
I've done a LOT of research on this recently, and in all fairness, people should have all information when reviewing the benefits of any product. Here are some facts:

1. Coconut oil is a saturated fat.
a. saturated fat is the leading cause of high blood cholesterol, according to the American Heart Assoc.
b. Eat less than 7% of total calories in coconut oil.

Eating saturated fats increases "bad" or LDL cholesterol, increases incidence of stroke and causes poor essential fatty acid metabolism.

2. Oil is not a health food. Oil is fat and is extremely nutrient-poor and calorie-rich.

3. Yes, some oils contain modest amounts of vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acid, which are easily attainable from other, better sources, such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and olives. These whole-food sources also provide a PD person with the needed fiber and many other nutritious deliciousness - with fewer calories.

4. Research, with many participants, not just one, indicates that NO OIL IS SUPERIOR to another.

5. Coconut oil contains about 87 percent of its total calories from saturated fat.

I understand this one doctor had results with one patient, and I totally understand that we are grasping at any hope we can glean from a possible aid to our PD journey. However, I would like to warn you to tread lightly and cautiously when adding harmful items to a PD person's diet.

Suggestion - check out drastic diet changes that are hard for everyone (we all want an "easy fix" don't we?), but will produce dramatic results with lowered cholesterol, feeling better, less interaction with pills as you can better manipulate your protein intake. Check out a vegetarian or vegan diet.

By susger8 On 2012.02.15 09:32
There seems to be some newer research suggesting that the type of saturated fat in coconut oil is not as harmful as was believed earlier. Virgin coconut oil has a high proportion of lauric acid, which although it is saturated, raises HDL, which is beneficial. Early research was done on partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which has much less lauric acid and should be avoided. Minimally processed coconut oil may be okay in terms of cholesterol.

I don't think the research is really conclusive, but if I wanted to try it, I would try the virgin oil.

Sue

By chroop67 On 2012.02.15 10:16
I think that much would be learned by looking at the website. wheatbelly.
The doctor also wrote a book by the same name. He had nothing to gain and his discoveries came about through his cardiology practice.
I myself follow the Paleo diet and believe that many neurological disorders may be the result of what we put into our body. There is even research that suggest that PD may be the result of undiagnosed celiac disease.
We have been fed a lot of misinformation that is so often led by the desire for monetary gain.
As far as coconut oil, it is all i cook with now. There are good and bad oils and we all need to do our research.
I tried to switch my mom to a gluten-free diet but mentally she just can't adjust. All her siblings suffer from restless legs, as have I and I believe they would all find relief from a wheat/gluten fr\ee diet. I did.

By susger8 On 2012.02.15 13:24
PD caused by undiagnosed celiac disease? That sounds a bit far-fetched. My dad never had symptoms of celiac disease (which I'm familiar with from someone I used to work with).

Sue

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.02.15 13:56
I'm sorry but people don't write books without aiming for profit. No matter what is said by them or anyone else even if it is written for a foundation the aim is to make money for that foundation.

By chroop67 On 2012.02.15 21:45
Wow! he wrote the book based on what he saw in his practice and believed that people needed to know. Obviously there is profit but it was NOT the motivation!!!!!!!!!! Most people with celiac or gluten intolerance have lived with it their whole life and do not recognize the symptoms.
OMG there is no harm in checking it out. It is only a diet change.....better than more pills.
Ya there is NO quick fix but I find that some people prefer medication over modification because its easier to pop a pill than to change a lifestyle.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you