For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Research Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mylove On 2012.01.29 14:16
I know, I know, everyone hates MJ, but the article is good anyway.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/29/10252901-few-parkinsons-patients-enroll-in-trials-michael-j-fox-aims-to-change-that

We are enrolled in trials near us (both of us, actually. I'm enrolled as a control). If you're able, you may consider it. At least you can feel like you're contributing something to finding more information. And that's a worthy goal. It's one small thing we can do, and should, since we are all in this together.

By karolinakitty On 2012.01.29 20:28
I know I read that and found it incredible that so few parkies enroll in trials, but, I think I have part of the answer to my own questions. They have limited ones in my area, the ones they do have are geared toward older PD patients, as most of the questionnaires I fill out you have to be dx PD 5-10 years, be on Sinemet or carb/lev 5-10 years, and that leaves us out all the time......now that is within 500 miles of us. I fill out every thing i can when it comes to trials just can't seem to get in one!!!!!

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.01.30 00:30
Wow, I read what is available within 300 miles of my residence? Now it really has me wondering just how much is the disease and how much is medication? Most (I'd say over 75%) of the studies have to do with cognitive impairment and impulse behavior. I'm not on any of the anti-Parkinson's med's related to those side-effects nor do I at present suffer from these problems. I do have a friend who suffers from these but he's on medication found to be related to causing these same problems. He'll soon be entering his 28th year of this journey, I'm soon to enter year 27. Also our Neurologist held off introducing anti-Parkinson's medication for as long as We could because of the limited usefulness involved. Now it seems that the way to go is for some to introduce medication "to slow the progression"?
Not that any of this is relevant just makes me wonder? I guess I truly am blessed (ever think you'd hear that from any Parkinson's patient?).

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you