For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Advice? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By hermit On 2012.02.01 11:13 [Edit]
I have a dad with PD. He and my mom live in a senior residence; no assisted living there. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or advice regarding when to abandon a walker and move on to a scooter. My concerns are the usual; fall vs loss of leg strength. Any ideas?

Thanks.

By carefulcohen On 2012.03.18 18:38
My husband just started using a scooter this past month because he started new symptoms; his legs/feet started to 'freeze', and could stay paralyzed for up to 2-3 hours. G-d bless you and your folks. 'bye

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.03.19 18:55
hermit, There is no specific "time" to abandon one for the other. In fact many would advise using both. The scooter to travel distances where walking isn't practical or physically doable and walker for around the house. Falls happen unfortunately with Parkinson's and some patients fall multiple times daily. In fact some have fallen out of their scooter. Freezing while quite scary can happen not only to legs and feet but to the whole body and it is feasible to freeze while going on a scooter (then not being able to stop) also with a scooter reaction time has to be taken into account if reactions are slowed or faulty from the effects of our disease the same care and thought process must be considered as to driving a car. If it isn't safe for others on the road for someone to operate a car then the safety of others walking in buildings and on the sidewalks must be taken into account before turning someone loose on a scooter in their midst. It is all dependant upon the ability of the Person involved and dangers to themselves and others that changes should be based on. I hope this helps. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By LindaRhea On 2012.03.29 22:04
Another thing no one has mentioned - my husband uses a scooter and our home looks like a demolition derby! Every doorway has gouges and the bathroom door is completely torn off, all due to his lack of quick response and control. AND - he still thinks he can drive a car and gets angry because I won't let him.

Scooters are great - but raise additional problems.

By parkinit On 2012.03.30 11:25
We continue to use three assists: cane, walker, and scooter. I agree with Lo, that there is no magical time when you give up one and start using another. My PWP stays in his power chair when mobility is an issue, yet uses his cane or walker when he feels good and can walk. If he is using his cane, I try to assist, however, he is usually festinating when he feels good enough to walk with a cane.

As far as the wall damage issues go (yes, out seems to go with the scooter territory and lack of control of our PWP), here are a few suggestions of what we are doing:

1. plate walls from about 3-4 feet on down with some type of metal plating to prevent wall damage.

2. remove baseboards and replace with 1 x 8 "baseboards" (we stained ours to look half-way decent), which keeps the power chair off the wall. There is damage to this baseboard, but it is relatively cheap to stain and install, so it is better than damaging the entire sheetrock walls and having to repaint, etc.

We are having trouble with the doors, etc., too. Surprisingly, my PWP took it upon himself to repaint these. I was resigned to occasionally touching up the baseboards with Old English scratch cover. It works wonders if your baseboard is stained a wood color versus a colored paint.

In other areas where huge chunks of wood are dislodged, we have used a interior/exterior wood filler and then painted over these (this will work for the gouges in the sheetrock, too).

Another issue we had was that knobs were torn off dressers and cabinets. We found some cheap knobs at our local hardware store and simply replaced the other knobs with these cheaper knobs, when one gets torn off, I have a surplus supply that I use. When I say "torn off," it means the screw that the knob was attached to was bent as well as the knob itself, so a total replacement is a must!

I've become quite adept at hiding the knicks and gouges and damage related to a scooter gone wild (I find it humorous that it is always the scooter's fault).

I've become an expert in correcting scrapes in the home.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you