For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Full body spasms Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By gap2010 On 2012.02.03 06:18
I tried searching the forum for information on waking up and being totally rigid, like a full body spasm. My husband has had a couple of incidents lately of waking up and his whole body is paralyzed. He explains it like all of his muscles have tightened up and his back is arched and he can't move for 10 minutes or more. He also said he is broken out in a cold sweat when this happens. Has anyone ever experienced this before and is there anything we can do differently to help with this. It's very frightening for him. So far it has not happened while he is awake. Thanks for any insight.

By susger8 On 2012.02.03 07:35
My sister (not a PDer) experienced this. It was due to a panic attack brought on by a medication she was taking -- Topomax. It's a condition called full body tetanus, in which all the muscles spasm and become rigid. Sort of like having a leg cramp everywhere-- she said it was very painful. The old breathing into a paper bag trick helped, but as soon as she switched medications she never had one again.

I don't know if your husband was maybe having a panic attack in his sleep? I'm not sure if that's possible, but maybe it should be looked into.

Sue

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.02.03 08:38
gap, Because this is recurring call His Neurologist! To me it sounds like He might need a tweak in His med's. Most of the time early and mid disease We go all night without taking our med's, as the disease progresses Our med's schedule changes. It might be that over night is now too long for him to go without. This is just a guess as I don't know his med's or his dosing times. But to me it sounds like He might need to wake and take a small dose during the night to head off this morning problem. Hope this helps, Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you