For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic memory problems Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jaxrock On 2012.02.17 09:29
Husband - 73 years old -with PD at least 10 years..........is now having problems knowing what year it is....says it feels like there's a hole in his memory..........the concept of year 2012 puzzles him........thinks next month will be 2013, etc...Even the months confuse him........he asks what does the "12" indicate? is it the 12th month?

Is mobile, still sociable, is writing his memoirs with the assist of a co-writer (his memory of events in years past is remarkable)....but, this new problem is very troubling, to say the least....

His neuro says it's not important that he knows the year..........so we're moving on with it.....but, it's very disturbing to both of us

any one else experiencing this?

By karolinakitty On 2012.02.17 10:09
Just based on our experience

My guy didn't know day - month- year- was having issues telling time...
Just my thoughts...but we have run into a few neuros who dismiss this, but our movement doc who also researches Ahlzheimer's, told us it is important. He put mu guy on aricept..plus we did a whole mess of things to help preserve and actually improve his memory...

Also, even though we are in our 50's, they dismissed it as age related....your doc may be doing the same...figuring he's in his seventies...old age...

On most of the research I have done, and again this is just my experience, i read where if math and computation is an issue than it usually is the beginnings of dementia...now that is not gospel, just what I have read........

By chroop67 On 2012.02.17 17:22
My mom, 79 and 14 years dx, cannot remember the day and confuses the months. She was put on aricept about
1 and a half months ago and unfortunately it has not helped. She was in an in-patient program about a year and a half ago and they tried everything to help with the cognitive issues, they really were amazing but nothing showed any improvements. She is in care now and I have created all sorts of calenders for her but they always end up taken apart or she just doesn't refer to them. It is especially hard when the pd'er is aware of the issue:(

By jaxrock On 2012.02.19 09:11
Thank you for that info........

The "d" word was mentioned........

I guess I just can't believe that this man who had the mind of a calculator when it came to figuring out anything mathmatical can't remember what year - or day - it is.....heartbreaking!

He was always the go-to guy in the family...and with friends....when it came to real estate, insurance, banking, etc., advice...and or course I depended on that brain power all through our many years of married life....but, I can't now....

The reality of this is so upsetting....

Again, thank you for your post...............

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.02.19 13:28
jaxrock, While His age might lead to assuming He has Dementia, just a couple of things to conceder. Has this memory loss come on suddenly? Over the course of weeks or days? One can suffer from delusional behavior and memory loss as a side-effect of many anti-Parkinson's medications. As a rule of thumb dementia has a long slow progression and onset. On the other hand if medicine induced it can appear quickly. Some medicines have a cumulative effect and over time build up in our systems so a recent change in medication isn't necessarily needed. If medicine is the cause then memory change can be corrected or reversed. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By jaxrock On 2012.02.22 08:56
Interesting...............meds could be part of the cause......
he takes his carbi-dopa and comtan every 2 1/2 hours during the day....that's a lot of medicine.....total 8 or 9 dosages each day....
I'll ask his neuro about that...

By megnut On 2012.03.06 11:12
I have been researching coconut oil to help with both Parkinsons and dementia. I started my patient on it yesterday. The video I viewed on the internet indicated that a difference was seen after only two weeks. I will keep you posted about our progress.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you