For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Social worker Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By buddy On 2012.02.20 11:41
Has anyone ever had to call the county or the VA for a social worker. We have too many siblings with too many opinions about my parent's situation. My dad with PD had to drive my mom to the emergency room this weekend, but once he gets there, he gets confused, his stuttering is so bad, and he "freezes" when trying to walk, so he is not able to communicate with the doctors and nurses. They refuse to call 911 or one of us until hospital personnel force them. 4 of us children are 10 minutes away. My mother has heart problems and was over-medicating herself. Second time since May we have been to hospital because she has mixed up her drugs, or quit taking them...this time she took too many. God only knows if he is getting correct meds. She has also decided he does not have PD (she never has believed it--refuses the local PD support group) and thinks the VA is giving him drugs that mimic the symptoms. Some siblings think the world is sunny and fine and feel the folks should be left alone, and some of us are tired of days spent in emergency rooms trying to sort out lies about drugs and doctors. I think we need a third party...

By susger8 On 2012.02.20 13:51
I don't know if a social worker would be able to solve those problems, but it's a good idea to have one. If you contact your county Office on Aging (might be called something different), they can assign your parents a social worker free of charge. They can help you identify services that would help your parents - there are a lot of services out there, but they are hard to find on your own. A social worker would also be able to figure out what assistance your parents qualify for and help you with the paperwork. And if your family needs a counselor (sounds as if you do), they might be able to help you find someone.


By parkinit On 2012.02.25 12:40
The VA provides wonderful services if you are a distance away and it is difficult to get your PWP to the nearest clinic.

We recently started a program where the VA provides regular visits from:

* a nurse-practitioner
* a psychiatrist
* a dietician
* a social worker
* an occupational therapist
* a physical therapist

We haven't used all these services yet, but they have already been most helpful!

Here's a link with more info on the veteran's home-based primary care:

© · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you