For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Parkinsons and laminectomy surgery Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By kimmy On 2012.02.22 14:03
My 81 year-old mother has Parkinson's. She has been told she needs a laminectomy, and after reading Susan Hamburger's comments about her husband's surgery, I would like to learn more about what to expect, and, most importantly, about the risks involved. We are very, very worried about my mother having any surgery, but she cannot continue to live with the pain and is no longer able to walk. Up until a few months ago, the Parkinsons had been relatively mild. The medications she's been taking for the pain have worsened the Parkinson's. It is all very troubling.

Thank you for any information you might be able to share.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.02.22 16:33
kimmy, Welcome to the forum, You've found a great resource of information here. I'm sure others with first hand knowledge will add to this thread to help you. I'm a Parkinson's patient, Important things to remember is anesthesia is rough on Us P.Der's, it can leave us cloudy and in the fog for months after surgery. Also getting medications on time! Be sure to have the doctors write specifically the dosing time; as example if med's are taken 4 times a day 4 hours apart the doctor needs to write that otherwise the hospital will read that as 4 times a day 1 every 6 hours. Which will cause problems for the patient. Stress of strange surroundings, lack of sleep will contribute to problems or increase of symptoms of P.D.

As for the laminectomy itself? I hope that the Doctor who recommended it has taken into consideration Parkinson's Disease itself as a cause of the pain? Dystonia or contraction or muscles causes pain and sometimes it's extreme. If the muscles in Her back and turning or compressing the spine it will cause pain and many times with Parkinson's Disease these problems are overlooked as a cause. I might run it by the doctor if I were you to be sure it was ruled out as a cause for the pain. I'd hate to have your Mother go through the operation only to find it didn't address the main cause of the problem. As I said there are many here who can brief you as to what might happen and what to look for to head off problems with hospital stays with Parkinson's. Again welcome to the forum, glad you found Us, keep posting, take care, best of luck and hang in there

By karolinakitty On 2012.02.22 18:17
Hi Kimmy.....I second Al with checking about the direct cause of the pain.
Speaking from our experience ......

the pain caused by the muscles cramping and twisting is severe. Dystonia in itself can be relieved some with an adjustment of medication...PLUS we found out low potassium can cause it too. My guy's muscles actually twisted and turned themselves on top of other muscles and contorted his leg muscles to where he couldn't put any pressure on them.

The medical world doesn't agree as to whether there is pain associated with PD, but I know we all do....so just have someone else check it out before you have needless surgery..

To aid in our issue we adjusted meds and after blood work he is on 20meq of Potassium 3x a day....it has to be watched but it has worked nicely...

By Pearly4 On 2012.02.23 05:47
My mother too suffered with back pain for at least a year before surgery was discussed. We too feared the effects of the surgery but we couldn't stand to see her in such pain any longer. She too had to crawl and took high doses of pain meds, and suffered all the ill effects of those drugs. This was very early in OUR experience with her disease so we had no experiece with any of these things.

BUT.....she went through the surgery, suffered from heightened mental effects of the drugs, lack of Parkinson's drugs, anesthesia, and 2 months inpatient rehab treatment, but had a good result from the surgery and her pain was greatly lessened (though not relieved completely) and a better quality of life for 5 additional years. It was well worth all the complications to take her through it and lessen her pain. Please note - as the others have said she may not experience complete resolution of the pain due to the effects of the Parkinson's, and other overlying spinal and nerve issues, but hopefully your loved one will also experience the good with the bad.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you