For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Citicoline for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2012.02.26 11:50
In a posting by pharmacist, Suzy Cohen, Citicoline, a supplement, is touted as possibly helping many brain disorders, including Parkinson's. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=361&articleid=20120225_222_D4_bDearP169903

By susger8 On 2012.02.27 07:54
She says that Citicoline increases levels of acetylcholine, which would be expected to make a lot of PD symptoms worse. (It's the reason you have to be careful with Alzheimer's meds in people with PD.) I'd like to see more research before I get excited about this.

Sue

By parkinit On 2012.03.01 11:04
In doing more research on this supplement, you do need to be aware of a few things. I have Lo and Sue to thank for making me do more research.

If PD symptoms (including muscular control) becomes worse, stop immediately.

If you take clonazepam, antidepressants, amantadiene, trospium, oxybutnin to name a few, this supplement may reduce the effectiveness of these drugs. Others are listed here: http://www.empr.com/medications-with-significant-anticholinergic-properties/article/123667/

This is a cholinergic and many drugs, those included above are anti-cholinergic meds, so they will be working against one another.

So, tread cautiously with this supplement. Lots of side effects are a possibility.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.03.02 00:03
Thanks for providing the link .....

It's really worth the look at the link the list also includes;

Parkinsonism
amantadine, benztropine, biperiden, trihexyphenidyl

The last one trihexyphenidyl is generic Artane. The list of side effects is quite extensive and the list of med's was listed as updated in 2007. Not what I'd call up to date. But it does give a solid heads up to check your med's!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you