For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Stages Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By AnnaD On 2012.03.13 03:18
I have been reading some posts and noticed some caregivers say ...my husband is in stage 3 or my husband is in stage 5...Can someone explain to me how I know what stage my husband is in. Is there some kind of scale to go by?

By LotsaBob On 2012.03.13 09:05
All I know is that there is 5 stages to PD. I guess stage 1 is when you are first diagnosed with PD and stage 5 is end stage or what I call "toast" stage. I am in what my neuro call stage three. So I am almost done.
You can look on the internet by typing in "what are the five stages of Parkinson's Diease" and you will get a quesstamation of what to look for as your husband moves through the diease. Hang in there, it can take along while to go through all the 5 stages................

By AnnaD On 2012.03.13 10:52
Thank you for your reply! I did check the internet as you suggested. Seem like my husband is between 4 and 5 then. He has had PD for 21 years but this year seems like it is really being hit hard! I have gotten to the point of "one day at a time" since there are so many changes going on with him from one day to the next. Thanks again and you hang in there too!!! Never know what tomorrow will bring!

By susger8 On 2012.03.13 10:58
Some people think the stages are relatively useless, especially since most PDers find their condition fluctuates day to day.

Sue

By parkinit On 2012.03.19 11:04
Please note that the "stages" also only address visible physical symptoms, no autonomic or mental issues that may occur. To me, this just is a good indicator to tell others where your spouse is physically in his or her walk with PD.

http://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-disease/parkinsons-stages

Stage one: During this initial phase of the disease, a patient usually experiences mild symptoms. These symptoms may inconvenience the day-to-day tasks the patient would otherwise complete with ease. Typically these symptoms will include the presence of tremors or experiencing shaking in one of the limbs.

Also during stage one, friends and family can usually detect changes in the Parkinson's patient including poor posture, loss of balance, and abnormal facial expressions.

Stage two: In the second stage of Parkinson's disease, the patients symptoms are bilateral, affecting both limbs and both sides of the body. The patient usually encounters problems walking or maintaining balance, and the inability to complete normal physical tasks becomes more apparent.

Stage three: Stage three symptoms of Parkinson's disease can be rather severe and include the inability to walk straight or to stand. There is a noticeable slowing of physical movements in stage three.

Stage four: This stage of the disease is accompanied by severe symptoms of Parkinson's. Walking may still occur, but it is often limited and rigidity and bradykinesia are often visible. During this stage, most patients are unable to complete day-to-day tasks, and usually cannot live on their own. The tremors or shakiness that take over during the earlier stages however, may lessen or become non-existent for unknown reasons during this time.

Stage five: The last or final stage of Parkinson's disease usually takes over the patients physical movements. The patient is usually unable to take care of himself or herself and may not be able to stand or walk during this stage. A patient at stage five usually requires constant one-on-one nursing care.

By AnnaD On 2012.03.20 02:40
Thanks for your replies. I only asked out of curiosity because I have read it in a few posts. I do agree that "stages" are just a guideline. My husband definately changes day to day so we just take each day as it comes, one day at a time!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you