For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Tattoo for my father with PD Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lemieux66 On 2012.03.21 16:51
Hello, new to the forum. My father was diagnosed with PD when I was about 12 years old and I'm now in my late 20s. Dad is nearing 70 and very rarely leaves the house and is seldom left alone by my Mom. I suppose he is still fortunate it is not worse after 15+ years.

I'm not a tattoo person at all. Not because I'm opposed to altering your body (I have piercings), but because I never trusted myself to choose something to wear for life. Then one day it clicked. I've recently been unemployed and somewhat depressed over my prospects, and I always think of my Dad and his hardships to put my own into perspective. I decided to tattoo a dopamine molecule over my heart, both as a tribute to my Dad and as an every day reminder that no matter what goes wrong, there are a million things to be thankful for. Even if they're microscopic.

I will link to a picture if anyone is interested. I didn't want to include it in my first post in case it's somehow against the forum rules to show a pic of a bare chest (male).

Would also like to hear if anyone else has done something similar for a loved one with PD.

By karolinakitty On 2012.03.22 10:00
welcome to the forum Mario!!!!!
Let's go Pens!!!!

I am a transplant from PIttsburgh and couldn't help to notice the user name.....

My guy is a tats guy...he has about 5...one of them is a tribute to his mom who died of brain cancer. She asked him to please always remember her as she was dying and so he decided to do a tat in her honor... it's awesome...she was a great organist and a child prodigy.. he has musical notes coming out of a heart and the heart has her name on it "Patsy". THere are some roses around it too....so in my opinion something like that would be a great tribute to someone you love so much....I also know of a gent from the UK who has many tats and one of those is a tribute to himself and his fight for PD.....You have to remember that tats are for life....yes they can be removed but it is very costly....as a permanent reminder .... I'll cheer for you!!!!

I'd love to see a pic...you can send it to my email @ pennyadams4u@gmail.com

By mylove On 2012.03.22 18:26
I like your idea! Maybe I'll join you...

My husband is the most important thing in my world. I'm also an artist, in my 'other life'. Many of my paintings feature bits of our world as a couple, and there are many 'pieces of Parkinson's' hidden within. I've toyed with the idea of working the molecule into a design, but never thought of it as a tattoo. I'd love to see what you do with it!

By Lemieux66 On 2012.03.22 20:14
Go Pens indeed! I'm watching them play Nashville as I type.

At first I was just going to use a basic dopamine diagram like this:

http://www.macalester.edu/academics/psychology/whathap/ubnrp/mdma/pictures/dopamine.jpg

But using that seemed too plain and formal, with the compounds labeled and all. In 3D models the OH are shown as red spheres and the NH2 is blue, so I had a little fun with the design and combined the two:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/jabronie212/0caa04b9.jpg

By mylove On 2012.03.23 00:56
LOVE it! Good for you!

This is my hubby's favorite painting http://fav.me/d1wnc3r that I did for him.

By karolinakitty On 2012.03.23 14:10
I like it!!!!

By Lemieux66 On 2012.03.24 01:15
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

mylove... that's a fantastic piece of work.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you