For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Another coconut oil success Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2012.03.23 10:49
Friend of a friend's dad has Alz. and is living in an Alz. facility. His son says that his dad knows nothing, does not even recognize his old homeplace (extra sad because it was a farm and he lived and worked there for decades), it sounds like the Alz. was pretty advanced....

Fast forward: one month ago, the son began giving his dad 4 TABLESPOONS of coconut oil a day. Dad is starting to remember things here and there, like he recognizes his homeplace now. I don't understand it but it's working for this family and I thought I'd pass it on. Note that these improvements are being seen by the son after one month on the oil...

There are posts here about coconut oil and if you try this, you need to remember to use the NON PROCESSED ORGANIC oil. There are lots of crappy oils out there and those could make things worse for all we know! Do the research and spend the extra five dollars on the good oil if you want to try this.

By mylove On 2012.03.23 10:54
Here's a speculation (just my two cents). I have IBS, and one of the suggestions for getting IBS under control is coconut oil. How many articles have you read that connect Parkinson's with issues in the gut? Maybe the oil is working there, rather than in the brain. It's definitely something to ponder.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.03.23 18:47
mylove,

Could be that, also I've read that some believe Alz. is a third type of diabetes and that the brain needs fats as its primary fuel (not sugars and starches which form the basis of the American diet for the most part...)

That makes sense to me as many autistic kids do very well on a high-fat diet (ketogenic)...we looked into this but could not stomach eating 90% of our daily intake in fats, ugh.

Also the good fats are known to combat inflammation (which is why many with arthritis will eat lots of nuts and high-fat foods like mackerel, etc.), maybe that is happening in the brain, too. All I know is that because of PD and my research into coconut oil, I have learned that I love coconut ice cream! (probably not the best way to get it, of course!).

By karolinakitty On 2012.03.25 04:15
Through all the reading I've done the hydrogenated coconut oil is a no-no but the virgin is the best.....I use coconut milk in several Caribbean dishes I make and my guy likes it in his coffee once in a while, Even there you have to watch to make sure it isn't artificial or hydrogenated. I can't seem to find the pure oil in our area, but due to other things I haven't spent the time on line searching for it... I will get to it (I keep telling myself)

I also read where about the Alzheimer's being like a diabetes.. and needing the fats....

at least lurking in the coconut ice cream you are getting the fats and the oil :)

By lurkingforacure On 2012.03.25 08:18
You can order coconut oil online but be sure you are getting the non processed unrefined version. I don't know prices but sometimes you can get shipping for free. I don't poo-poo places much, but I will share that we ordered some from Tropical Traditions, the price was really good and it's supposed to be the unrefined, extra pure and natural stuff, but it was total crap. We have no idea what it is really in it but it's very very runny and just horrible. It doesn't even have a hint of coconut smell and actually smells bad. I won't even cook with it and that's saying a lot! I won't ever buy from them again.

You may also have to take a day trip to another town to get some, not ideal but also an option.

By mylove On 2012.03.25 21:57
See, this is one of those occasions where I'm GLAD you mentioned the specific place, because that's the one that pops up all over Google when you search for coconut oil. I was seriously contemplating ordering from there. I'm glad to know that, especially since its so expensive. Maybe I'll go through my local health food store instead, and they'll be doubly pleased that we are shopping local! :)

By parkinit On 2012.03.27 10:32
I've noticed our local Big Box store (i.e., Wal-Mart) now not only carries LouAnna, but another pure, unrefined coconut oil, too.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you