For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic The impact of our furry friends Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By seawench On 2012.03.23 11:56
We have two 18yr old cats. They just had thier check up and passsed with flying colors. Then the cat that has always been my hubby's cate got very sick. We spent all week in and out of the vet's and we still aren't sure if he'll make it, we should know by tomorrow.

The reason for this post is because I have noticed how this has been affecting my PWP. I am concerned about how he will respond if we have to put Spike down. any suggestions on how to help him through this??? Comments???

Seawench

By parkinit On 2012.03.24 19:14
This is difficult, sea wench. My spouse lost a cat that had been with him many years as well. When the cat stopped eating, he didn't want to put the cat down. When I had to carry the cat up and down the stairs, my PWP still didnt want to give up. I asked a few times if he was ready when I knew it must be a few days before his cat would die. He still wasn't ready. The next day, however, he woke up and said he was ready to take his cat to the vet to be put down. It was sad for us both and we hugged and cried and carried the cat home in a shoe box and had a burial service for him.

I think we need to let our animals pass with dignity while ensuring that we respect how and when our loved PWP grieves. My PWP started grieving when the cat became gravely ill. I had to give my PWP space and time to accept and process the fact that his cat was dying soon. I was the one who took care of the cat and tried to coax him to eat, etc., while my spouse was given the time to process it all and come to terms with it as best he could.

Hugs to you. It is tough losing a family pet.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you