For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Breaking bones? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2012.03.29 19:29
Is it normal in PD for one to more easily break bones? First, my husband tore his rotator cuff and just last week, broke a rib! I find this odd for a man who rarely broke ANYthing before the dx.

Thanks!

By moonswife On 2012.03.29 21:50
My huzz had two falls down our carpeted stairs. Two rotator cuff surgery and one knee construction later we are in the downstair exclusively. We were fortunate to have big dwelling. Left three upstairs bedrooms with empty closets.
Must research if any of the Rx side effects include making bones more brittle. Guessing that drinking less milk to cut down on protein is not helping with calcium. So much water is consumed to get all the pills down, not much craving for milk. Except with chocolate chip cookies. : )

By karolinakitty On 2012.03.29 22:55
Does he get dystonia???? There is a possibility that if he gets the severe cramps it will fracture bones......it will dislocate bones also....

My guy got a hairline fracture in both the arm and leg from severe dystonia!!!!!

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.03.29 23:14
The side effects of some anti-Parkinson's medications will deplete calcium in our systems, thereby weakening bones. In some cases there have been problems with patients having swallowing problems keeping medicines in their mouths resulting in dental problems.

By jcoff012 On 2012.03.30 00:17
Thank you for such quick responses. We are new to this, although now the doctors are telling us he has had PD for many years, it was misdiagnosed...

I just hate seeing him in so much pain. He's going to twice weekly therapy sessions for the rotator cuff, then this...

More when I know more. Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.03.30 00:50
Jane, Just a quick note on PT. It is important when going for therapy that the therapists understand the fluctuations we experience during our day with our medication. As an example if He's there during an "on" period he will project much different than if in an "off" period. While doing PT when I was there during on time they thought, see we're getting you loose and moving, then when going at a different time on a different day they were saying what happened to you? We're back to square one! Physical Therapy has come a long way in the past few years recognizing our Parkinson's problems but still some lack the knowledge of just how much it impacts our daily functioning. Welcome to the forum. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By susger8 On 2012.03.30 11:18
I think that aside from the tendency to have more falls because of poor balance, I wonder if PWPs might fall in awkward positions. Where others might be able to react quickly and prevent and injury, someone with PD might break a bone because of landing in a twisted position.

Sue

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.03.30 15:04
Sue, Yes you're right about our balance problems causing falls and harm. Parkinson's twists us out of shape and our center of balance is out of whack. And our reaction time is slower so when a "normal" falls happen we can't get our body in a protective position where as someone not affected could extend a forearm we'll only get far enough to extend our wrist and absorb the force in the wrist or the shock goes up the arm and force hits the shoulder. I think this problem contributes to most of the breaks and sprains we incur. When before we could react to get an arm down or spread the impact across the body now we land on a point like the ribs and end up with fractures.

By jcoff012 On 2012.03.30 18:42
Well, he's at the doctor now because he cannot handle the pain; NOT like my "Marine" ;-( But, he DID go in; good for him!

Thank you all for comments; I really appreciate it. We are really realizing that his PD is vastly different than his Mom's was. She didn't fall til the end of her life, after 22 years on meds, etc.

I know you all understand that this disease is not one relegated to the person with PD; it has become part of *my* daily life, too. We have a four day break from watching our grandson, but haven't been able to drive anywhere or do even a day trip because of therapy sessions and now his rib...I know that that sounds like a minor thing, but other than a three day weekend last July, I haven't had more than one night away from watching our 2 1/2 year old grandson since he was 3 months old. (Yes, he goes home at night, but we have him from 7 AM-6 PM daily).

I'd like a break and to see my husband relax and unwind, instead of being worn out and tired all of the time. He is missing all he was, and to go from the oldest of six brothers and sisters and the father of four kids to the man we see now is heartbreaking. His frustration with it all makes it unbearable. Add the pain from all of these joint and bone problems, and we have a very sad man.

He was and is my rock; not sure if I can handle taking care of him. How do you do it? I feel selfish because I know I will do what it takes, but I am angry at the disease, not the man. I HATE that he has to live on pills, pain meds, etc...I want the man back that I married 45 years ago...for him, as much as for me.

How do you look into the PWP and say, "It will be ok." Or, DO you say that?

Sorry for so many questions, but my time to be completely alone is limited. For some reason, the family thinks I am the entire family's caregiver...First, my BIL, then my FIL, my son, my own cancer for five years, daily caregiver for our grandson, and now my husband...My dr. says I need to ask for help; but, my husband isn't that bad, yet, and the grandson keeps him moving and active...

It's never ending, isn't it? Thank you all for letting me vent...remaining positive isn't an issue, it's what we have to do to survive, right? :)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you