For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sores on the front of the shins Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By susger8 On 2012.04.05 07:14
Dad is having an ongoing problem with sores on his shins. He had some last year that healed up, but has now developed more. I've asked his dermatologist, who has no idea what is causing them, and his cardiologist, who says get him to walk more. I guess it is from lack of circulation. I just think it's odd where they are located. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sue

P.S. He does not have diabetes.

By packerman On 2012.04.05 09:43
are they red, dry & flaky?
my PWP has that on his face and forehead.
dermatologist said it's sebhorric(sp?) dermatitis.
if he washes with Head & Shoulders, it's much better.
Pat

By karolinakitty On 2012.04.05 21:40
Sue ...

Just from our experience here but last year when my guys sugar spiked at 600, along with his high BP 250/150...his legs swelled, you could see that poor circulation was an issue..he developed sores too....

THe occupational therapist we went to ...to have his legs wrapped told us this:

As the circulation was not good and having the swelling in the legs...excess fluids had nowhere to go and even though it wasn't too evident...fluid pushed its way through the skin causing an opening....the opening then became a sore as it was open skin hitting air...

My guy ended up with a staph along with everything else.....so be careful with these sores....clean them good...use antibiotic cream and watch that they don't ooze yellow....that is a sign that it
could be staph!!!!

By moonswife On 2012.04.06 22:24
All relevant comments, any of these possible. We had something similar, started on lower shins, then went rampant over entire body. After PC Dr, allergist and dermatologist, lots of tests, his turned out to be stress induced excema. Son in Law committed suicide and grief took its toll.

By susger8 On 2012.04.07 17:14
They start as blisters and then the tops come off. They heal, but slowly. We make sure to use antibiotic ointment, and they have fortunately not gotten infected.

He used to have swollen ankles when he was on Requip, but now they are not swollen at all. I think he has some degree of heart failure, and his circulation is probably not so great. I suspect that's connected to the blisters/sores.

Sue

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.04.07 19:03
Sue, This might sound stupid ...but...well it won't be the first time or probably the last time I say something stupid. Has there been a change in laundry detergent or the kind of socks? How are His socks? Sometimes the elastic can become frayed or worn and irritate causing sores also. Just a thought that popped into my head. At times we can overlook the easy, simple causes and dwell on worse case scenarios especially where this damn strange disease is concerned.

By susger8 On 2012.04.09 08:43
Those are good questions and not at all stupid. I buy his laundry detergent and it has been the same one for several years. The sores are above where his socks hit his legs, so I don't think that's the problem. But I will take a look at the elastic on his socks anyway, it's a good suggestion and worth looking into.

Thanks,

Sue

By plcpainter On 2012.04.09 11:34
I don't have PD but I do have seborrhea sores that I get on the shins of both legs, especially during the winter. They are about the size of a small pea, get flakey on top and take forever to go away. I have begun using Weleda Arnica Massage Oil on them. I rub it up and down my shins at least once a day (twice when it was bad). Arnica is an old, old remedy and promotes blood flow to the area it is applied. I believe that the shins just don't get much blood along that bony ridge and that is why the sores crop up there more readily. Weleda is the brand name. Interesting fun fact: Arnica has been found in the pyramids and is one of the oldest medicines known. It is great for sore muscles and bruises. It may not work for your situation but thought I'd throw out my experience. Heck, it might be the oil that is helping rather than the Arnica! Either way, it's sure helped my "red spots"! Good luck.

By susger8 On 2012.04.10 07:58
That's a good point about the lack of blood flow along the ridge of the shin -- that might be the reason the sores are in that spot. I'll look into getting some arnica. Worth a try!

Thanks, Sue

By karolinakitty On 2012.04.10 08:31
My guy reminded me of something else...he had shingles years ago and some sore come back...just a thought!!!!

By susger8 On 2012.04.20 05:33
Dad has started to get edema in his ankles again -- it is much less after he has been lying in bed but when he sits in his chair, his ankles get swollen again. I think this all is related to heart failure. I need to get him to his cardiologist.

Sue

By mylove On 2012.04.20 14:32
Sue;

My grandmother had this, and while she did not have PD, she did have age related congestive heart failure (look it up). Leg edema/sores are a prominent symptom, and one of the first signs.

By susger8 On 2012.04.23 07:23
Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of that. Dad has a pacemaker, but at his last couple of checkups with the cardiologist, the doctor thought he had some early signs of congestive heart failure. My grandmother (mother's side) had this so I am somewhat familiar with the symptoms. The ankle edema seems to have subsided for now, but I'm keeping an eye out if it comes back

Sue

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you