For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic dosage spacing Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By MarthaJ On 2012.05.14 00:38
My DH is taking 2 pills every 6 hours. He told me tonight that he realized the medication wears off after 4 hours. I was wondering if anyone's PWP takes Sinemet 4 times a day? He's going to email his new neurologist to ask her about trying that.
TIA
Martha

By karolinakitty On 2012.05.14 08:01
Martha...Sometimes folks do take it every four hours...some take it every 6 hours....I even know folks that take it every two but n low dosage....like half a pill....

Just from experience if it's wearing off that soon they might want to add Comtan OR increase the dosage...for example..if he's on 25/100 they may up it to 50/200 or up it to 1.5 pills....maybe even try the SinemetCR...controlled release....that gives you a little every so often....

Good Luck...hope the doctor understands his need......

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.05.14 08:30
Marthaj, 2 every 6 hours sounds like the sinemet cr. It is supposed to last 6 to 8 hours but doesn't. However if you're talking regular sinemet as KK said some take lower doses every couple of hours. His Neurologist might want to switch Him to regular if he is on CR. I take two and a half 25/100's 5 times a day. So there is room for adjustment for him run it by his Neurologist. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By MarthaJ On 2012.05.14 11:57
thanks so much!

By mytngenes On 2012.05.15 14:04
Martha, my hubby takes the generic 50/200 CR every 3 hrs (7 times a day). He takes a lot of Sinemet-11.5 tablets per day broken down this way: 2tablets twice a day (6hrs a part) and the other 5 times he takes 1.5 tablets. He also takes 1 Comtan each time he takes the Sinemet (7x Day).

This is the way the MDS has set his medicine schedule. We've played around with the 2-2tablet dosage times, trying to prevent a really bad afternoon "spell" and so far this schedule is working well for us. Hope this helps you with your dosaging.

By lilflower On 2012.08.01 08:52
Over the years my Hubby's meds have changed quite a bit and he feels that they are good right now. He takes 3mg requip, 2 1/2 sinemet25/100 every 3 1/2 hours. He was also taking comtan but is doing better without it.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.08.01 20:30
We've been told it's optimal to take the lowest dose of sinemet more frequently to avoid the "peaks and valleys" in the blood and brain. We'll still get them, but they will be much more of a hill and dip, which is better and easier on the body.

What this means, though, is that we have to take our sinemet more frequently, as in, every hour in the morning, and then can go to two hours in the afternoon. It sucks, but seems to work better this way. So, instead of taking one sinemet very two hours, we'll take half of one every hour. Also, can't eat much of anything, regardless of how we take the sinemet.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you