For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic "Me Time" - a.k.a. Respite Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2012.06.10 16:02
I recently pondered what entails "Me Time" as we caregivers are so often told we need to set aside time for this. I think of it as anything that gives you pleasure or relaxation while not thinking about or caring for your PWP.

Here is a great article summarizing "Me Time" and all that it could involve.
http://nfca.typepad.com/take_care_spring_2012/in-search-of-me-time.html

By packerman On 2012.06.12 09:55
that's a good one! thanks for sharing.

By jaxrock On 2012.06.12 15:53
Wonderful posts........

May I share my favorite Me Time?

I go upstairs to my "office" and write.................anything.......notes for friends and family..................lyrics to songs............notes in my journal.............emails to friends and biz associates..........memoirs.....

Anything involving paper, pencil or pen...........or typing on my computer

I can do this when my husband is napping, resting, watching tv....whenever I know he doesn't need me or my company for awhile....

It's a great stress reliever for me......

I would think that anything one enjoys doing would give quality Me Time....be it sewing, drawing, reading............if it's enjoyable, it's Me Time

By seawench On 2012.06.12 20:17
I hadn't sewn in close to 20 yrs but the day We were told he had a pd plus my mom gave me a stack of blocks my grandmother embroidered in her 90's and asked me to make her a quilt. My momma knew what I needed. My artisitc side is feed by designing quilts, my challenge oriented side is learning how to quilt. I have a sewing room right off of the office and just downstairs from my hubby. As customers come by or he needs me I can pick it up and put it down, dream and plan, complete it and gift it. I recieve so much satisfaction from it.

The biggest and most ambitous (and emotional) quilt will be the wedding dress keepsake quilt I am going to make that I know one day I am going to curl up in it, smell it and cry till I have no more tears. wrapped up as if his arms were around me cocooned in the memory of our love and life

Seawench

By cmonge On 2012.06.17 10:17
My "me time" has to involve getting out of the house alone or being with friends. We are a young couple but my husband's PD is fairly aggressive. We've had a lot of challenges. Fortunately my husband is a sports fanatic and can spend all weekend watching sports. That's when I go shopping or what have you. As long as he gets fed he's fine! I will go to a movie with him and church and that's our together time-that's about all he can handle anyway.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you