For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic 23and me...gene testing Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2012.06.14 09:37
SO I got back the results of Jim's 23andme spit test.....just skimmed it now...really want the time to go over it well....BUT...

No marker for parkinson's ....but a marker for PSP (parasupranuclear palsy) a Parkinson's Plus disease

No marker for Alzheimer's ... but they say you can still get it...

Then greatly increased odds for Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) a bone marrow disease, essential tremor and Restless Leg....

Like I said I just skimmed and have to await the ancestry results..another week they say for those...and fill out some more info...but so far interesting...but like I said want to really get into it when I find the time...

If you haven't done it...it may help in the research as well as determine the genetic risk for future generations....

It's not always about the here and now, at least in my book...

It's free if you go to the link below...

https://www.23andme.com/pd/

then hit the red button...Join the Fight I have Parkinson's......that is the "free" way as they are trying to get 10,000 more parkies tested.....if you go straight to 23andme it will cost around $300...don't so that....they are looking for parkies.....

By gap2010 On 2012.06.14 15:08
Thanks so much for the link!! Just ordered my husband's kit.

By Elly On 2012.06.14 15:40
Thanks so much for the link too. I have been meaning to do this for some time but you inspired me to do it right now and I just sent for the kit for my husband. Thanks again.

By Elly On 2012.07.20 20:42
Got the results for my husband--no genetic markers for PD so I am happy for our kids and feel we have contributed just a little bit to science. I would urge others to do this--it might lead to a breakthrough.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you