For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic And now, on the lighter side... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2012.06.16 16:16
And so life continues even though our personal family situations may be in havoc. I read this the other day and it could be big. Oddly, we asked our neuro about the possibility of snorting sinemet years ago (sounds kind of illegal, doesn't it? but that's basically what it is...) and he told us (meaning, me) that I was completely off my rocker.

My, how the tables turn...in the news this week, an outfit is testing levodopa mixed with some pulmonary compound that PWP can essentially take via the nasal route (ie, inhale) and so far, so good. This could be very helpful for those who have massive problems with absorbing levodopa the usual way, by mouth, like my husband. Can't eat all day or the meds won't work at all, which is just not sustainable long-term and makes for one very grumpy man.

Another huge improvement with this delivery method is much quicker onset of drug benefit, no more waiting an hour or longer for the meds to take effect. Here's the link:

http://www.masshightech.com/stories/2012/06/11/daily51-Civitas-starts-Phase-2a-trial-of-Parkinsons-treatment.html

Note: we were told by another leading neuro that an un-named "they" are working on a levodopa patch, but the levodopa kept burning the skin and they were trying to work that kink out...that could be really good, too, as it would be a continuous delivery of the drug. These are all still just treatments, not a cure, but if they became available I really believe my husband's QOL would improve dramatically.

By parkinit On 2012.06.17 18:56
Thanks for this info!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you