For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Medication information to our children Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jaxrock On 2012.06.23 09:14
I just typed up the very detailed information regarding all of my husband's medications - including dosages, timing, etc.

I also put the names and phone numbers of pharmacy, doctors, and other pertinent information that only I know - but, would be very necessary if I'm Not Available.........( read, ill, or..........)

I'm mailing these pages today to our four adult children and their spouses......and will update them when needed...

It dawned on me that no one knows the intricate details of his 8 or 9 dosages of medication each day. Since these meds are keeping him walking, talking and functioniong, it occured to me that only I know how this works!!

I thought, also, perhaps others may want to do this as well......just a suggestion.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.06.23 11:55
Great suggestion thanks for passing it along!

By moonswife On 2012.06.23 20:43
Jaxrock, what a good idea. I am doing the same exact thing, thanks to you.
You made me think if we were in an accident together, who knows all the important stuff except me.

By jaxrock On 2012.06.24 12:06
One more thing...

I also put a copy of this list on the side of my refrigerator................just in case....

Neighbors, EMT people........anyone who wouldn't know what to do for my husband IF..........and before our kids could be notified.

I do hope this helps other caregivers..............

It's quite a juggling act, isn't it?

By parkinit On 2012.06.25 22:57
Awhile back, I showed my husband's best friend where we keep all the meds, that here was a detailed med list in this same location, and where all the bottles were kept. I was recently thinking along the same line . . . if something happened to me SOMEONE needed to know what pills he takes, how to reorder, and when he takes these pills.

Always a good idea to have a backup plan, for sure.

By seawench On 2012.06.26 09:49
A few months ago I obtained the emergency kit the National PD foundation was giving out. A PD bracelet comes with it. When I was sharing it with my support group they discussed the need for the caregiver to have a bracelet to let emergency responders know that we are critical to some one else's care and to locate them immediately.

My neice is a vintage jewelry artist and she is making me up some bracelets to wear. I provide the tag and she will make it beautiful.

Seawench

By Reflection On 2012.06.26 21:31
My person with PD still gets around on his own. I typed a wallet card for him on the computer, then formatted (trial & error) to credit card size (folded several times lengthwise) and literally attached by rubber band to his medical insurance card. I figure if he needs medical help, they are likely to dig around for his insurance card.
I don't remember where I got this format - probably this forum! But in case it could be helpful to other's, I've clipped it below.
He once ended in an emergency room, unconscious, and I believe this card was incredibly helpful. I've clipped the info I included below:

Medical Information as of [date]
My names is [name]
cell [number]
Date of birth [insert]
addresss & phone [insert]

Emergency Contacts:

Insurance Info: [list carrier, ID#, Group #, Member Serviices 800 phone]

I have no known allergies.
I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in [date]. Its symptoms are tremors, rigidity, slowed gait and balance impairment (which may resemble intoxication, but is not). These worsen and lessen several times a day in “on-off” cycles. Stress, anxiety, lack of exercise and/or the need for rest may worsen my condition. Without medicine I may become rigid and disoriented. A neurologist familiar with my condition should consult on any medical treatment.
Neurologist: [name, phone]
Psychiatrist: [name, phone]
MEDICATIONS: I must be given my medication promptly at the times specified. If this is not possible, consult my admitting physician for authorization to administer my own medication or alternatively, have it administered by a family member. The timing of my medication is very important to help my “off” times. Following are all prescription and OTC drugs I currently take.
Medications
Carbidopa/Levodopa [[list dosage, x tablets/day]
Comtan [dosage/ x/day]
Zelapar [dosage/ x/day](selegiline HCI) orally disintegrating tabs
Amandadine [dosage/ x/day]
Budeprion (Wellbutrin) [dosage/ x/day]
Ambien CR [dosage/ x/day] if needed
Aleve (for pain, when needed)
Possible Side Effects: nausea, dizziness, mental changes, confusion, hallucinations, involuntary movements, loss of appetite, dryness of mouth, lowered blood pressure.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you