For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Body freeze - comatose-like Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2012.07.06 22:22
We encountered a new event in the life of the PWP yesterday - a full-on body freeze. It was like the low just wouldn't bounce back and the next thing I know, I find my spouse staring straight ahead, unable to move, to talk. He said he could hear me and he was coherent, but just couldn't do a thing. I took his vitals and all were normal. I took him to the ER and he was diagnosed with "loss of consciousness" which we both don't feel is an accurate assessment, but for lack of better terminology, this is what was used to define his condition.

Has anyone else had experience with this? We asked the home health nurse what we should do if this begins to become a regular occurrence and she said for me, the caregiver, to make my PWP as comfortable as possible, but to just keep him home since the ER didn't really do anything.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.07.07 00:21
parkinit, What you are describing is an episode of freezing! You both are right it wasn't a loss of consciousness! The ER got it wrong! Although scary it does happen sometimes with the progression of the disease. It takes outside stimulation sometimes to get one going or break the freeze. A tap on the arm or foot a word can work sometimes (like encouraging one to march or rock back and forth a little). Your Neurologist can help with hints and there are past threads here with hints to break freezes. Your home health nurse should study up or read some of them also. (The aim is to help aide function and keep on with a semi-normal for Parkinson's life and not to make comfortable and remain frozen ;) another fine mess PD get's Us into!).

Another example of how little most ER's know about and are able to deal with the symptoms our disease presents. Be sure to let your Neurologist know what happened and if they practice at that hospital I'm sure they'll want to be informed of the ill-treatment and un-informed medical staff you encountered. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By NE Caregiver On 2012.07.07 02:03
My friend was diagnosed with Parkinson's a couple of weeks ago. He is already freezing. I put a name on it, "frozen in time." We even chuckle about it although it is frustrating to the one with Parkinson's. I didn't understand it until I did some research on the Web about Parkinson's. My friend usually comes out of the freeze in about a minute. If not, I coach him out of it, and it usually works. Hang in there.

By seawench On 2012.07.07 18:49
Sadly about a year and a half ago while my husband was still working. He froze completely while answering the door. Since our office has a camera I reviewed the incident. The customer stood there for a bit, looked uncertain and then just left.

I arrived about 10 mins later to find my husband still standing there holding the door, by then he wasn't frozen but afraid to move until he had help.

While I understand a person unfamiliar with PD not knowing what to do, to just leave was an appalling solution to me. It's a good thing I never figured out who he was.

Seawench

By parkinit On 2012.07.07 19:41
I understand a "freeze" when the feet won't move, which we have experience numerous times, but this was something that lasted around 1.5 hours! I did touch him, waved my had in front of his faces, adjusted his body so he was reclining more comfortably, talked to him . . . he just couldn't respond. Even in the ambulance, he said that the EMT asked him to open his eyes (as he had shut them when they went out in the sun to transport him), and he couldn't - they had to pry his eyes open themselves. I had just never seen a "freeze" to this extent.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.07.08 10:30
parkinit, Sorry I didn't know the duration of the incident. Please let His Neurologist know everything about that. To me it sounds like it might be medicine side effect? Either missed doses or a build up to a "toxic" or harmful level in his system. Even if he didn't change or increase his medicine lately if might have built up in his system. This surely isn't our "normal freeze". Please keep us posteed on how you both are doing! Sincerely Al.

By parkinit On 2012.07.08 23:16
No changes in meds. He seemed to be back to normal today.

My only thought is that he has been having major insomnia trouble the last 4-5 days - only getting about 1.5 hours of sleep per night. Perhaps it was a result of sleep deprivation? He got a good 8.5 hours of sleep last night, but we're having to take some Sonata to aid in the sleep issues. This is in addition to what he already takes to aid sleep and relaxation: melatonin and clonazepam at night.

By parkinit On 2012.07.10 22:58
Just an addenda - the neurologist never called back, so I called his office this morning. My PWP was up 15 times last night - still no sleep. Doc was on vacation for the rest of the week and nurse told me that if it happened again to take him to the er. I said "They don't do anything and they tell me to call you!" Sometimes health profs drive me crazy!

By parkinit On 2013.08.29 19:52
Just an addenda to this post. After doing much research, I believe my husband went into a "locked-in" syndrome temporarily. This is the best description I have for it.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you