For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic the trip that won't happen Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By barb On 2012.08.13 07:44
Last night my husband said he'd like to go away for a few days. He hasn't gone away alone and I'm getting ready for a big trip and can't go (his wonderful children are coming to stay with him so I can get away). We discussed possible problems at the airport if he had a down and didn't make his second flight . We talked about what it would be like for him to stay alone in a hotel. We never talked about the fact that I take care of all the medication or that he tends to get confused at night
He decided to stay home. It was the right decision but how sad that a man who always independent, a man who was a leader can't go away overnight.

By parkinit On 2012.08.14 22:08
Part of what I often see with my spouse is that when he is feeling good, he believes he is invincible and can do whatever he used to several years ago. He recently spoke about going on a sailing trip! He is considered "stage 4" physically where he needs assistance getting up out of bed, needs a catheter at night, needs help with ADLs and all transfers. With all this, he thought he could go sailing for a few weeks.

It makes me sad that I have to gently walk him through the realization that this is impossible. My heart aches for him because he doesn't realize this on his own and I feel like such a killjoy sometimes when I have to talk him back to reality.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you