For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic LSVT!! Wow!! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2012.08.13 13:12
My husband and I went to a session with a certified therapist in LSVT Big and we are ready to sign up! In fact, as soon as I post this, I am going to see how to get him into the program and see about insurance coverage!

This is a two part program for movement and speech for PWP! The results look amazing...he said one of his patients came in using a cane and two weeks later, could walk without it and by the end of the two weeks, he was much more spry and after six months had not gone back to the cane!

He stressed this is NOT a cureall and does not work in advanced PD, but can be a life changer for many. Look it up on YouTube under LSVT Big...it is intense, exaggerated exercises that retrain your brain to think the exaggerated movements are normal...four days a week, an hour a day for four weeks...plus an hour a day exercises at home, seven days a week.

We both sat in the car in the parking lot, thinking we may have found something proactive!

I will let you know. Jane

By shakydog On 2012.08.13 21:33
Keep us posted on how it works

By packerman On 2012.08.14 16:55
make sure he keep up his practice. my hubby had LSVT two years ago and has not practiced(to my knowledge) and has lost much of what he learned. oftentimes i have to remind him to "think loud" in restaurants, etc.
Pat

By jcoff012 On 2012.08.14 17:26
Well, we talked to the insurance (Blue Cross), and there are two thoughts...since he has had his max of therapies, he can go back to the doctor and ask that he write a new prescription for LSVT..and they will pay 80 percent if the therapist codes correctly or 60 percent if he is not in our network...

He goes to the doctor in mid-September, so it will be hard to wait, but we will...and I will let you know how it goes...

As for practicing...remember, my husband was a Marine...practice and discipline are his middle names... ;)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you