For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic What To Expect While Traveling Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Trusting On 2012.08.14 20:16
If this post shows up twice forgive me. I thought I posted this the other day but I can't find it, so I'm trying again.

I will soon be able to retire and want to do some traveling in the USA, mostly by car. My husband has PD so I'm wondering if any of you have any tips for us, or can alert me to unseen problems that can come up. I want to be as prepared as possible. I plan to stop every couple of hours so that he can stretch and walk around. This will be our first time attempting traveling long distances since he has had the PD so I want him to be as comfortable as possible. Thank you. I enjoy this site as it has helped me so much already.

By parkinit On 2012.08.14 22:15
There was some good dialogue about this topic awhile back. Here is the link: http://www.myparkinsons.org/cgi-bin/forum/topic_show.pl?id=3118#18693

By barb On 2012.08.15 06:51
We love to travel and we cruise. If we have to fly I make sure we have ample time between flights. I check our wheelchair and get assistance from a porter with a chair. Whenever possible i use points to upgrade our seats. This year we are hoping to cruise in Europe and come home on a transatlantic cruise. One flight and I'll use points to make sure we are in comfortable seats. I get accessible rooms in hotels and on the ships (need those grab bars and shower seats). I organize small group tours so I can control the number of hours we are out. i do that by communicating with others who will be on the cruise who may prefer to tour with a small group. I always buy travel insurance
I buy an annual policy that will arrange for you to be transported to the medical facility of your choice should you need medical care (most policies send you to the nearest facility).

i believe life is a window. You don't know how long the window is open so if we are going to travel I have to make it as easy as possible. I work hard as a caregiver at home. I want to be pampered on vacation. And yes I bring lots of meds, a fair amount of clothing (there are Laundromats) and a urinal.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you