For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic the toilet Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2012.09.30 09:40
We have really been having a time of it, and I've been struggling on handling everything like everyone else here. I am so tired of crying all the time, every day brings new challenges with PD and I don't know how we will all cope with everything we have to deal with today, much less tomorrow.

It is so odd how the littlest things can become so huge. Probably because stress amplifies it. But for me right now, it's his toilet. He has stopped flushing the toilet and it makes it get filthy very quickly plus it smells to the heavens. Right now his toilet has stains on it that I cannot get out no matter how hard I scrub and it has become my current mission in life to get that toilet clean. It's crazy, I know, but that toilet might just represent the one thing in my life that I have control over, and by golly it's going to be clean!

I think the meds may be making the stains harder to get out, because the stains appear to be from urine. Whatever it is, does anyone have any tips for getting incredibly tough stains out of the toilet bowl? In my mind, I see that stained toilet and just cannot believe it is sanitary or good hygiene to use it. I would even resort to replacing it if I cannot get it clean-youtube has videos on how to do all kinds of home projects and home depot has toilets that are cheap!

By Marie On 2012.09.30 10:12
lurking, I have used streight bleach right out of the bottle and it is great on most everything. I know where your coming from, a clean bathroom is essential in my house. Good Luck. We are all in this together

By jaxrock On 2012.09.30 11:26
since you received excellent advice from Marie, I'll tell a story on me....yes, stress makes us do very strange things.....

A few years ago, I missed the wedding of my best friend's daughter...because, at that time, my husband was having serious bowel problems with his PD....

So, instead of traveling to California, I cleaned, scrubbed, tossed out things, picked up crumbs, etc., in our refrigerator......I swear, there wasn't a cleaner refrigerator anywhere on the planet at that time!

You're right....it certainly has something to do with control.....at that time, all I could control was my clean refrigerator...I'm sure I wouldn't let my husband even go near it.............

It's funny now, but it sure wasn't funny then...

Upward and onward, right?

and, yes, bleach works...............

By carman96 On 2012.09.30 19:42
I have the same problem with my husband not flushing. We also have well water that has a lot of minerals, which causes a ring around the toilet. I use a pumice stone and it will get any stain out of porcelain. it takes a little elbow grease but it is worth it to have a white toilet again. You can get one in the cleaning section of the supermarket.
I use disinfectant wipes around the toilet seat and the bottom of the toilet and it is hard to get the stains out because it is plastic and you can't use the pumice on it.
Sometimes it all seems so overwhelming
and something will just send you over the edge. All we can do is hang on and do the best we can.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.09.30 22:28
Thanks all, for your replies, and so glad to know I am not alone in my quest for a clean, sanitary toilet. I can't really use bleach, we are on a septic system and that's a no-no, I would have used that right off the bat but can't. I had not thought of a pumice stone, so that's on the list for the grocery.

One thing I also found: a plastic toilet seat where the bolts and hinges are covered, it's an all-in-one unit so if there's a "miss", it's not as bad. The lovely metalwork on our current toilet seat has been corroded horribly by urine hitting it and running down the metal, so I've realized that's got to go. I hate a plastic toilet seat but I'd rather have a clean plastic one than a corroded, dirty wood and metal one. I saw it at Lowe's in case anyone is interested in getting one, too, and it was one of the least expensive ones they had, a bonus.

By Trusting On 2012.09.30 23:36
My first thought was bleach too. I use it often and have a septic system. I have never heard that bleach is a no-no for them. I would try about 1 cup of bleach in your toilet and let it sit before brushing. I can't imagine that small amount could hurt it.

My husband seldom flushes either. He is now leaving lights on through out the house, something he never did before. He tries so hard when using the toilet to make sure all dribbles go into the toilet, but I'm afraid he is missing quite often. I have resorted to placing an old hand towel on the floor around the toilet where he stands. Also, I have found that white vinegar in a spray bottle keeps the odors away.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.10.01 06:22
We have the lights issue as well, and have for a very long time. I think when he gets up at night, he is worried he may freeze and/or fall, and lights help him feel safer....and see better. I'm glad they are there and can help, but have to admit I get more than annoyed when I am woken up with all the lights blazing in the house and it's 2 or 3 or 4 am, and I didn't get to bed until a few hours before. This happens nightly and even sleeping in another bedroom has not helped with this issue.

I am to the point where I am considering closing the door to the room where I sleep-but worry about a fire-we have young kids not to mention a PD spouse. Does anyone sleep with the door to their room closed?

By dkleinert On 2012.10.01 13:54
Hi, everyone! Oh, how I have missed you! I echo all of your problems. My husband used to not flush the toilet, and we also lived in the country with well water (until last weekend). My husband can't hit the toilet when he urinates, and there was always urine all over his bathroom. There is white ceramic tile on the floor!!! Finally I came up with laying towels all over the floor and up tight around the toilet and then I just change them often. My husband does flush the toilet now, and he uses a urinal also. This does help. Sometimes he cannot make it to the urinal.....he leaves lights on not because he is afraid, but because he does not even notice he does it. Just like leaving his unfinished plate or food wherever he ate it, leaving his sox wherever he takes them off on the floor, clothes on the floor, used kleenex everywhere, on and on......PD, I think.

By abp0822 On 2012.10.02 17:10
My mother sleeps in a separate bedroom from my PD-dad. She uses a baby monitor so she can close the door and for when he naps at the far end of the house from where she might be. Maybe you can have one for the kids' bedroom area and one for your spouse (assuming you need to hear him call for help if he needs you.)

By Laurel On 2012.10.13 02:24
Wow! I hate to say it, but it is so relieving and lovely to hear about others' experiences, since we face so many of the same challenges. It never occurred to me that the urine missing the toilet was PD related. (Although I must say, since my husband stopped taking Stalevo, not only is the staining gone, but he doesn't miss as much. Can't imagine why that would be.)

I'm new here and just reading old posts. This is a wonderful place to be already.

Thanks all.

~ Laurel

By parkinit On 2012.10.13 22:23
Toilet talk. I have to say that NOW I find the below story quite hilarious. We must laugh lest we cry, right?

I was cleaning around my toilet several days ago and hit my head on the sink - really hard. My husband, who is hard of hearing, heard it hit from another room. I was okay, but the next day, he asked me to write up my wishes should I become totally debilitated.

To make a long story short, I just typed out my wishes, which were, in summary, "put me in a nursing home."

After ensuring that he not be placed in a nursing home and receives care at home, I found he accepted this with no objections, to my consternation. So, the next day, I had to tell him, "You know if I go in a nursing home, you will, too, as there will be no one here to take care of you. . . Maybe we can go to the same one!" He hadn't thought about this, I could tell.

I wonder what goes through their minds sometimes!

By sunshine On 2012.10.17 01:10
I too have the same issues around the toilet and flushing. The odour is strong. Has anyone ever tried those little tablets that you can place in the toilet tank? I haven't as yet but am considering using them, if they are still available.

By karolinakitty On 2012.10.17 12:25
Here is an odd tip for urine and hard water stains... Ketchup!!!!!

You only have to do this every so often but....if you shut the valve off and flush commode the water goes down below the "water stain" of the tank...squeeze the ketchup on the stain and let sit for at least one hour. Turn the valve back on and flush...bye bye stain..... We have very hard water and I use the ketchup once a month in the sinks for bad stains I can't get out with cleanser. I never tried it on floors but would think it would stain them....

I use arm and hammer Scrub free with bleach...spray it on the floors and bottom of the bowel let it sit a few minutes... Then wipe....I too use towels like DK but shuffling feet move them......

By barb On 2012.10.19 08:51
I'm sitting in a dark hotel room reading these hints and laughing. The bathrooms drive me crazy, i constantly shampoo the carpet in our bedroom (urine) but the baseboards and doors will be my downfall. He has destroyed it with his hoveround. The house is only two years old and had beautiful baseboards. I use wood fill, I touch up the paint weekly but I want to cry when I look at it. Half the time he doesn't have his eyes open when he is driving around the house. He only uses it in the middle of the night but I can't convince him he needs light, his glasses and to be awake!

By lurkingforacure On 2012.10.19 12:57
I have to laugh at how many of us are dealing with this issue, who knew? Thanks for all who have posted here, there are some awesome tips (ketchup? I never in a million years would have thought of that, thanks!).

It's amazing sometimes the things that bring people together :)

By barb On 2012.10.20 08:12
Lemon pine sol gets rid of the urine odor in just about anything. I also re-caulk around the toilet bowl before we have company. White tile in the bathrooms so I use ice white - looks great for a couple of days. I get a little crazy before people come over - caulk, fill, paint - sometimes I think I'm losing it . You'd think I had nothing else to do like being a 24 hour a day caregiver isn't enough.

By dkleinert On 2012.10.20 10:59
I know we are talking about urine odor, so I wanted to mention that using Eucalyptus essential oil in your laundry loads stops ALL urine odor in clothes, towels, floor mats, etc. I buy it by the kilogram bottle from a supplier in Greensboro, NC (LovingScents). The cost is about $65/kilogram bottle including shipping. I use a 3ml dropper (I buy disposable droppers from them also) and put one dropper-full in the middle of my washer where the liquid soap goes and then sprinkle 1-2 more dropper's full around on the clothes, towels, blankets, sheets, floor mats, etc. that are in the drum of the washer. It is the only thing I have found that totally removes all urine odor. Since I began using it, our house, bedrooms, bathrooms, his clothes, etc. don't smell like urine anymore (except in the bathroom when he has his incontinence underwear on the floor in the bathroom that has not gone to the trash yet that day). It is one small thing, but helps me cope. Eucalyptus globulus essential oil is incredible stuff. It is antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, etc., and has a pleasant odor.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you