For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Drivers license suspended! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2012.09.30 19:51
Well, it finally happened, they suspended my husbands license. He couldn't pass the written test. It is depressing but also a relief as I have not let him drive for several months and he gets mad.On long drives I have been driving exclusively for several years now. He really doesn't know how slow he is and his reflexes have to be slow too!
Hopefully he will get used to not having his license and I don't have to keep reminding him that he can't drive.
Poor guy, he's only 66 and has had to give so much up already. He used to ski, waterski, ride motorcycles, etc. the other day he wanted to buy a ski-rope so he could knee-board. I had to explain to him that his knee-boarding days are over. I hate having to be the bad guy all the time. At least I can blame the driving thing on the motor vehicle department.

By Trusting On 2012.09.30 23:24
I'm sorry for you and your partner. I also do almost all of the driving, especially on long trips or areas that are unfamiliar. I'm dreading the day when my partner can't drive at all. It gets so hard being the one who has to do all the shopping, running errands, etc. On the other side of the coin, I understand your sense of relief. I worry everytime my husband even takes a short trip to a friends house or into town. Will we ever get used to all of these changes in our/their lives?

By abp0822 On 2012.10.02 16:50
It is a tough transition but best for everyone. My dad had an accident that was a huge wakeup call. Luckily no one was hurt but who could predict the next time? He protests periodically but overall has adjusted to the situation. He probably should have stopped driving a few years before he actually did. Had an angel on his shoulder I suppose.

About giving up his beloved water sports - is he well enough to row or kayak? Moving and exercise are extremely beneficial for PD patients - both for the body and brain. PT, exercise anything he can do safely he should be encouraged to do.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.10.02 19:07
abp, While exercise is beneficial WATCH the water sports! If one has trouble with reflexes and freezing being on or in the water is dangerous! If you freeze you drown, period. There are big differences between canoeing and kayaking and supervised swimming pools. With Parkinson's Disease the dynamic's of everything change. Those new to the forum and with driving questions we've had many threads about driving and the dangers. I just posted this last summer about a woman in upstate New York, She was formerly charged with driving while taking anti-Parkinson's medication on the 1 year anniversary of accidentally running into a group of people outside a church (killing 3 of the People). She was just running to the store for a couple of things.

Yes it's hard to give up driving I know I did it a few years ago. I CAN live without driving I don't know if I could live with taking someone's life because I didn't want to admit My driving wasn't what it once was. This disease is relentless in it's constant taking from Us and constant adapting for both Us Patients and our Caregivers/Partners. Very few easy answers, so many tough questions. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By parkinit On 2012.10.02 22:26
I echo Lo's sentiments. Be careful around water. Especially if some freezing is involved. My spouse will not get in the water anymore because he is deathly afraid of "tipping" in the water and not being able to upright himself - even with me beside him helping him exercise with a lifejacket on in the pool. We did this last year, but he was always quite tense and I feared that if he started to topple and I couldn't catch him, he would panic and that could cause it to be much worse.

He has not wanted to enter the pool this year.

By phoenix On 2012.10.04 22:34
It was a huge relief to me when my husband's license was suspended two months ago after an accident (thankfully nobody was hurt, though the car was totalled). He was, and still is, very sad about it, and part of him still thinks he will get the license back - not happening, but I don't actually tell hims that. And yes, I really don't like having to do all the driving, but I no longer am terrified that he will kill somebody....I know it's tough, but then so is everything about PD.

By lost my love 11 On 2012.10.05 02:53
i'm so sorry. I lost my husband 3-18-11 to Parkinsons. I miss him so very badly. I need to talk to someone in the same position. I go to counseling but I loved my husband so much. It hurts so bad. Can we talk? I went through the same thing with the driving thing. So afraid a child would be hurt with my husband's driving. It is so hard. Totally understand. Please email me.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.11.09 19:03
Update to the above mentioned driving case. Our news tonight (WTEN channel 10)reported the 56 year old Woman struck a plea deal....She pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide. Sentencing to be in January, She faces up to 6 months in jail, 5 years probation and can never drive in New York again.

Toxicology reports show she had three different medications in her system at the time of the crash. She had prescriptions for all She is diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

This will take care of the criminal charges but any civil cases for wrongful death would I think be made easier by Her pleading guilty should the Families be inclined to sue!

By jcoff012 On 2012.11.09 23:03
Lost,

I don't want you to think no one read your plea for someone to talk to...Did you see the thread below this one...One of the women on the board is asking if anyone has thought about life after losing a loved one to PD. You may want to read the posts to see if there is anyone there with whom you might connect.

I have had many losses in the last thirty years, but especially in the last 5 or so. I do, however, still have my PWP, my husband of 45+ years, so I cannot personally understand how you feel. I wish I could help. Come back and chat with some of us when you need.

Hugs and good luck. Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you