For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic How do you handle mood swings? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2012.10.06 23:55
My husband has such huge mood swings. Yesterday, we had a lovely two hour picnic in a park, today he got angry when I said I needed ten minutes to dry my hair before going across the street to a garage sale! And, it went downhill after that! I ignore his bouts of silence, but it's hard to ignore under the breath comments....grrrr...

Right now I am upstairs in the office and he is pouting again downstairs...and it all started with not being ready to go outside "right now"...and "forget it, I don't want to go now."

????????????????? lol

By lurkingforacure On 2012.10.07 09:03
I don't have this so I may be talking out of turn, but I remember reading that as we age we become more like children, wanting our way, wanting it now, pouting when we don't get it, etc.

I don't think this is necessarily PD-my mom did this and she did not have PD, and I saw it to a lesser degree, in another family member before he passed away.

Also, I can't help but think I'd be quite moody too if I had PD. My husband is much "nicer" than I could ever be :) So like so many other things, this may just be something he kind of cannot help.

I find it really ironic that he wanted to go "right now", and did not want to wait on you, when you probably spend hours waiting on him to get ready to do things or go places, amusing in a twisted kind of way, don't you think? Life is so strange sometimes.

By jcoff012 On 2012.10.07 11:27
You made me laugh! It IS ironic, isn't it?! I think that that is exactly why I was so upset...for all of *my* waiting...he couldn't wait ten minutes? lolol

Such is life...My biggest problem is that it seems to me PWP often use it as an excuse for bad behavior...kinda like *I* did at times going through my cancer stuff...it's a convenient excuse to not behave well or to not do what others want you to do...My kids called it "playing the cancer card"! LOL

I agree that PD stinks and *I* wouldn't want to go through it...so, I will cut him a pass this time...just hope it's not a common PD thing...hugs!

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.10.07 12:08
Sometimes mood swings are a side-effect of the medication (if you look up possible side-effects it might be listed). On a more personal note speaking as a Parkinson's Patient I can tell you as time goes on, We can tell (almost on a subconscious level) most of the time if our medication is working as it should or when it's starting to wear off. Along with that we know we have "windows" throughout the day when We are able to enjoy without "pushing" Ourselves to just get through something, be it a chore or shopping, anything. With everything else You our caregivers have to do and watch for We don't expect you to keep track of that too. Heck our med's can "kick out" stop working then "kick in" and work again so it's a bit*h to try to really plan anything. Just as an educated guess I'd say He was worried his "on time" was just about up and the window past. When crashing on our drugs at times our communication skills lapse. We're feeling kinda shit*y, a long explanation is taxing as we have to try to project our voices while crashing and if we stress the wrong word or part of a word we can hurt feelings or be in an argument which is more taxing. Or one can feel that explaining is repeating what has been explained many times before and wasn't listened to. I can be way off base with this and it isn't meant as any criticism to anyone. Just a suggestion of what might occur and the whys from a Parkinson's view. So a "forget it" really isn't meant as a barb or mean it may well just be a "I'm not up to explaining it right now"! However a reply like that begs for explanation which We're not up for at the moment it is spoken. As I said I can be wrong but I offer this as a might be why from my personal stand point as a Patient. Hope it helps clear up some hurt feelings. We're all in this together. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By jcoff012 On 2012.10.07 13:48
LO, I have heeded your advice and learned from your wisdom through many of your posts. They are gems and are appreciated.

I cannot imagine what it is like to be a PWP, anymore than anyone can imagine these last five years with cancer treatments, tests, etc. I guess the fact that in February I luckily heard, "no evidence of disease" after the five years' trials, etc. makes me exceedingly lucky...I know that, barring something unusual, my disease is over...his is not.

His attitude, generally, is very positive, but the meds and/or the disease, are rapidly changing his emotions and feelings. The only true, steady emotion is with our 3 year old grandson...that is a joy to watch and listen to...he demands little, accepts the tremors (calls him shaky grandpa or says, "What's dat, grandpa?...Oh, ok.." and life goes on in his little world...and in my husband's world.

I just reread your post, LO...great insights...now that I think about it, my husband does say, "I can't explain it. Sometimes the explanation takes too long and then I'm too tired to do anything."

Bless you for posting...I do so hope you are doing well...and I pray we get a cure or at least some better meds before long. Hugs, Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you