For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Constipation Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Arly56 On 2012.10.20 16:28
Not a pretty word.

My mom deals with this and uses lactulose and senekot twice a week.

Is this condition due to Parkinson's? To the Levo-Carbidopa?

It doesn't help that she had surgery for a bowel blockage due to adhesions over a year ago and is to avoid fibre or seeds or apples with skins on etc.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.10.20 18:11
This is very common in PD, unfortunately. You use whatever works, some use that "Smooth Moves" tea, others make a prune juice mixture cube thing (recipe on the forum here from annwood from long ago), miralax, enemas, whatever. Constipation makes everything worse so you need to try to stay cleaned out, IMHO.

The easiest way to know whether something is PD related or not, to me, is to think about whether it is related to a muscle. If it is, whether it's heart palpitations, vision problems, constipation or digestive issues, etc., then it is. PD affects ALL muscles not just the ones we use to walk or hold a cup of coffee. Once you realize this, you easily see how enormously PD affects every aspect of someone's life.

You should also know, being new to this whole PD thing, that many docs will chalk EVERYTHING up to the PD-and very often it is not. See mylove's recent post about her husband having a physical injury and the docs misdiagnosing it by assuming it is PD-related and in the meantime the man is in horrendous pain that is very real. If you are going to be involved at all in your mom's care, and she is lucky to have you, by the way, you will need to educate yourself a great deal. Sometimes I feel I know more than the doctors we see, and that is not a good thing!

By Laurel On 2012.10.20 20:27
Hi, Arly56. My husband has horrible constipation as well. He uses lactulose twice a DAY, not twice a week. It helps, but still doesn't solve the problem. What is senekot? I haven't heard of it.

By parkinit On 2012.10.22 21:46
My husband uses Miralax on a daily basis and adds lactulose occasionally when the Miralax alone doesn't keep him regular.

Constipation is a significant problem with PWP and can impact pill absorption if the digestive and elimination systems aren't working properly.

By Trusting On 2012.10.26 00:05
This is a major problem for my husband with PD too. I tell him he has to tell me if he doesn't have a bm for a few days. If I know I can help with diet. I also give him Cascara Segrada and Aloe Vera gel pills. Both of these aid greatly in helping with the bowels and are found in the vitamin aisle at Wal-mart. He also take fiber prescribed by the dr. on a daily basis.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.10.26 00:21
Trusting I just looked up Cascara Segrada, it shouldn't be taken for more than 7 days in a row and has strong warnings to check with a pharmacist or doctor if taking prescription medicines as it interacts with many.

By VioletV On 2012.11.02 18:56
My husband had a really hard time with constipation. I found a recipe online that has really helped him. He hasn't had an episode for about 2 months.

It's simple
1 cup wheat bran (Red Mill is the brand I use)
1/2 c applesauce
1/2c prune juice

mix well. Start with 1T per day for about a week, then move up to 2T per day. He takes it about 4 times a week now and everything seems to so much more smoothly for him.I make it once a week, since it seems to go "off" after that time

By olpilot On 2012.11.11 03:40
My husband puts Miralax in his coffee daily and he gets 2 Docusate Sodiums at night. Docusate Sodium (Senekot) can be found at Walgreens or Walmart.

By Laurel On 2012.11.11 23:34
And my love sweetens his coffee with Lactulose instead of sugar. The creative ways we deal with things! Hah!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you