For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Facial flakes Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By JBehler On 2012.10.21 21:13
I've not seen a reference to this before so I thought I'd bring it up to see if anyone else sees this with their PD family member. My husband's face is always flaking. Looks like dandruff and although I remind him to scrub, wash, add lotion, it seems to not quit. His new neurologist says it is a sympthom of PD. She has said the cells on the face and similiar to the kind in the brain that die off.
Anyone else experiencing this? What kinds of treatments do you use?
Thanks for the help.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.10.21 22:38
Say what? I have read a lot about PD and never ever have I read that skin cells on the face die off like the ones in the brain! Good grief! First, there is considerable debate in the research world on the question of whether the brain cells are actually dead as opposed to just sick or weakened. Second, the doctor's statement does not even make sense: why would just facial skin cells slough off but not any other skin cells on the body?

I have never heard of this and my first thought it: winter is coming-air gets drier and perhaps your husband's circulation is not as good as it could be. Get him moving if you can a little bit each day, hopefully in the sunshine, and try some lotion to see if that helps. Dry skin can also be a symptom of dietary deficiency so check to be sure he gets enough vitamins and minerals, nuts go a long way in ensuring a healthy diet and they provide essential healthy fats.

Where did your new neurologist go to school?

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.10.21 23:33
Sounds like to Me a case of a Doctor not knowing and not wanting to admit they don't know so just say anything no matter how absurd and how dare anyone question them they're a Doctor!

By carman96 On 2012.10.22 09:27
My husband has extreme dandruff and flaking on parts of his body. This is most definitely a symptom. Look up PD and dandruff. I think the Dr. Had a very simplistic way to describe it. They either talk over our head or like we are idiots.

By seawench On 2012.10.22 10:59
I have found that oily, itchy, flaky skin to be common amongst those I know with PD. Our Dermatologist has given us some lotions and potions that help and we use it on Spa Night once a week. They have been a God send because the over counter stuff was useless.

Seawench

By jcoff012 On 2012.10.22 11:07
My husband's neuro said that flaking on the skin is a symptom and told him to use a good moisturizer...now his face seems oily! LOL...
Other than an annoyance, there is no pain, so he manages it quite well...always something, huh?

By Laurel On 2012.10.22 13:50
Steven has a very flaky scalp and face, and we have no doubt it's from PD. He went to a dermatologist and got special shampoo (like selson blue on steroids) and there's NO problem with it now. None of the other things (washing frequently, lotion, etc.) worked for us.

By packerman On 2012.10.23 11:04
Our dermatologist called it Sebhorric Dermatitis. it's common with PD patients. we're using Head & Shoulders for it and it has lessened in severity.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.10.23 14:13
I feel terrible for my earlier post as I have never heard of this in PD! Please forgive my hasty and ignorant spout.

Does the skin problem cover the skin all over or is it just limited for some reason to the face? The only skin problems with PD I have ever read about were vitiligo, where the pigment gradually disappears from the extremeties for some reason, and a redness tint for those who use mirapex.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.10.23 15:01
I also stand corrected ... we learn something new every day. Thanks for the info all.

By jaxrock On 2012.10.23 15:35
We also have this issue......I notice flakes in our car after I drive my husband around. It's like dandruff, but I believe it's from his arms, hands and face...

Weird.......and he never had this before he had PD

By seawench On 2012.10.23 23:20
We have an ointment for the chest, one for the face, one for the scalp, one for his legs and feet and one for his back, we also use an exfoiliant and a medicated shampoo. As you can see the skin problem for us has been extensive. Fortunately we only have to apply once a week when we have "Spa Night". All but the exfoiliant are perscription- nothing over the counter worked- and we purchase the sugar scrub from an arts & crafts show in Port Townswend (yr's supply).

I have a confession- On Spa night I give him an mani/pedi and I paint his nails. Only manly colors of course. The other day he told me his fingernails were looking bad and he needed them redone.

"They're looking a little rough" he said with an attempt at a rougish grin.

I called him a goofball.

He replied "I like to look at them. You have to do so many things for me because I can't. So when I look at them I feel all warm and fuzzy because this is one special thing you did for me just because you love me."

He's such a goof and I love him.

Just wanted to pass on a lighter moment- because we have too many tough ones enjoy!

Seawench

By Laurel On 2012.10.24 01:20
Wow, Seawench -- I've never heard of it being so extensive. Steven just has the face and head flakes. We have medications for both, also prescribed. Selsun Blue didn't work at all. This stuff does.

I love your spa night idea!

Be well,

~ Laurel

By Trusting On 2012.10.24 22:31
My husband also has extensive flaking on his face and ears. Nothing helped until I purchased the selson blue shampoo. It seems to be helping. Flaking of skin was one of the many symptoms of PD listed on one of the web pages. I would really hate to think his brain cells are dying as much as those on his face and ears. It makes me sad to think of it.

By Shedog On 2012.10.27 03:20
Wow see you learn something new everyday... We just thought his flaking skin on his face and ears, was a dermatitis... never realised it went along with the parkinsons... Gawd this disease sucks big time. Hubby has skin cancers (basocell carcinoma's) on his face hands and legs... and he seems to be forever rubbing at them and making them bleed. We do get them zapped every summer and it seems to help, but not with all of them. Does anyone else have problems with spots and the like and the patient irritating them, hubby is forever rubbing at the dead skin on his face and irritating it so much that it bleeds... Should I put mittens on him... We are coming into summer and it hardly seems fair to put mittens on his hands so that he can't scratch. David was diagnosed with parkinsons 8 years ago and it has progressed quite rapidly with him... I love him to bits. But his irritating every little spot and blemish is getting to me.

By parkinit On 2012.10.27 22:13
Shedog -

Funny you should mention the "picking." My spouse picks at his scabs, where he has had precancerous growths zapped, etc., too. I thought this was just him being him.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you