For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Visuospatial problem - what does it mean? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By gap2010 On 2012.11.02 21:55
This evening (it was dark out) on our way home my husband was driving. everything seemed fine until all of the sudden he got quiet and he started almost missing curves and stops, etc. I asked if he wanted me to drive and he agreed quickly. He said it was like he was seeing everything as a picture and one part of his brain was saying "Oh there's a curve in this picture" and the other side of his brain was saying "This is not a picture! It's a real curve." He said it was like he saw the curve, but couldn't react until it was right there. Like what he was seeing was a one-dimensional picture or drawing. What does this mean? No new medications, etc. So looking for advice or thoughts. Thanks so much.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.11.02 23:47
gap, My take on that is either his medicine had worn off or cut out or He might need tweeking of his meds(which ever) What seems to be described could be considered a form of freezing. In the episode He was recognizing a curve, then a glitch in his transferring that information to the correct pathways for his muscles to react and steer into and around the curve. The delaying of action a very brief freezing. Things like this happen with our disease making driving more and more hazardous. Most of the time these changes happen slowly and we don't notice what is going on. As an example stumbling into curbs or on steps when walking. Or stubbing our toes. When we walk we all take for granted oh here's a curb, our foot rises as it swings forward and no problem. With Parkinson's Disease our signals become tangled or delayed, mixed up for lack of a better term. The automatic forward and up isn't in tandem. Our foot swings forward and bang we stop dead jammed into a curb or catch the top and pitch forward stumbling. Or We can unexpectedly lift our foot higher than normal and stomp it down, jarring ourselves or startling ourselves and others. Our signals aren't smooth anymore coordinated movement isn't coordinated some of the signals are delayed or don't transmit at all. And sometimes our brains overload trying to send several signals at once and we freeze unable to move. This seems to me is what you described going on. Hope this helps some. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By lurkingforacure On 2012.11.03 09:27
Visual issues are well researched and documented in PD. To my knowledge, there is nothing you can really do about them except keep the meds as correct for your loved one as possible. You can google vision and PD and read more. My husband says his vision is different when his meds are low, so we try to keep on top of that.

By gap2010 On 2012.11.04 08:10
thanks so much for your advice. My husband wants me to get rid of his truck now so that he's not tempted to drive. Is this necessary? What should I do? It is so hard to have to make these kinds of decisions. He is having a really bad day...I think because of what happened when he was driving.

By gap2010 On 2012.11.04 08:12
lonhengrin, what is your email address? I truly appreciate your wisdom and insight and would like to be able to contact you directly if that would be possible. Thank you so much.

By LOHENGR1N On 2012.11.04 08:43
gap, You are lucky your husband wants to remove temptation of driving. What happened scared him and it's a good thing! Many here fight daily to have a spouse or loved one stop driving. If he feels he shouldn't drive then he shouldn't! As I said many feel they can drive safely when they can't. He doesn't want to hurt anyone let alone take some ones life. Encourage that. Please don't try to convince him to still drive. There is a case in upper New York where a woman is being charge with killing three other women, She was running (driving) to the store on an errand, just a quick trip, thought she was driving well enough for that and plowed into them while they were standing with a group in front of their church. Also she is being charge with driving under the influence of anti-Parkinson's medication. She could also end up having their insurance saying we aren't paying because we weren't notified of her condition and the family could lose everything savings, home etc if sued. So there are a lot of things to be considered with continuing driving.

gap, my email is LOHENGR1N@AOL.COM (if you click in here you should get a blank email pop up addressed to me to make it easier) Feel free to email me anytime just put pd or forum or something like that in the subject line so I don't think it's spam. That goes for anyone who thinks I can help feel free to email me anytime. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By carman96 On 2012.11.05 08:29
I am so relieved that the Dept. of Motor vehicles took my husbands license away before he hurt anyone or himself. He is still very upset about it. I still let him drive around our property. If your husband is worried he will be tempted to drive then hide the keys!!!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you