For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic PD and Medicare Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2012.11.15 17:38
A quick question. My husband has great insurance from his job (even in retirement). He will be 65 in March, so we being inundated with Medicare pamphlets, Part B insurers, etc...

We know we have to switch to Medicare A; what do you recommend for B? Should we go with our current provider (Blue Shield), or should we get the "extra" addendum that provides more coverage from Medicare?

Thanks, Jane

By lurkingforacure On 2012.11.15 18:55
Jane, I went through this with a family member and you have to be so very careful. When you are getting quotes, you must be sure that you are comparing apples to apples....they deliberately make coverages different so it is very hard to see which company offers the better deal. Same with Part D-all drugs are tiered and you have to be sure that your current rx drugs are covered, as well as drugs you may anticipate getting. That differs a lot between companies as well.

My big surprise was in learning that a company can "sign you up" for their coverage even without your signature!! Be very careful who you give name, social, birthdate, etc. to in getting quotes, because I had not one but TWO companies sign up my family member for coverage and neither of them were the one we picked! It is very hard to get a live person at Medicare to reverse this so the best thing to do is not get "accidentally" signed up in the first place. Many people get a commission for signing up medicare people and it's very competitive and not particularly ethical.

We made a spreadsheet so we could keep track of who offered what and how much it cost, etc., then we could compare and see which was the best deal for my family member. BTW, AARP did not even come close to being a good deal.

By parkinit On 2012.11.17 18:02
Jane - Go to Medicare.gov and you can wade through the selections there. Providers should be selected based on each person's needs, so it is best not to take any one person's advice on a provider, but to find one that fits your personal needs.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you