For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Turning a page Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mylove On 2012.12.16 14:11
This isn't a post about a question. It's just a post about a milestone.

Last Thursday we saw our MDS, and after a long several months of soul searching and struggling, told her Shakydog is ready to bow out of work entirely. Some of the fault is in his progression; some of the fault is due to our misguided attempt to make it easier by reducing his hours earlier in the year from 8 to 4, which in essence doubled his workload, as his employer still required 8 hours worth of work out of him in that time. Much of the fault, as far as we are concerned, is due to workplace harassment of a person with a disability, but that's a story for a different day.

This is a milestone both bitter and sweet. It ends a work career for my love which started when he was in his teens and which he would have liked to continue. The sweet is that it forces us to do quickly what we'd planned all along: to get married. We are going to do a very quick, very simple wedding sometime in January. It's something that makes us very happy. We've been together for five wonderful years, and are looking forward to many more.

We have big hopes that the retirement will mean a few more years that will be good for us. The kids are both off to college now, and we are beginning to enjoy the empty nest. It seemed senseless when we thought it through to donate any more of his precious 'good' time to an employer when we have no idea how much may be left.

Since you all are our 'board family', we wanted to share in the good news. I'd be interested to hear from others that have made the leap from work to home.

By Lynnie2 On 2012.12.16 15:14
Fortunately my husband was already retired from 2 careers. He retired at age 52 from the main career and farming, and then did some part time trucking before he was diagnosed at 59 years of age.
We had travelled quite a bit. pulling our 5th Wheel out west and east and within the province, but now we don't do either. We just have our trailer at once spot. It would be nice to do more travelling but I'm glad we did it when he was healthy, but we had no idea he was going to get PD (who does?).
Anyway, I am glad you and your husband to be are able to do some things together while he is feeling okay plus retiring and I wish you all the best.
Do as much as you can because the years will go fast. Hopefully he has a hobby that will keep him busy.
I don't know what the future will hold for us, but we just take each day as they come and do what we can.

By Reflection On 2012.12.16 19:27
I toast to your happiness, and your future together. Congratulations!

By jcoff012 On 2012.12.16 21:44
Congratulations on so many levels! He loves you deadly, as I said before...you can see his love in his post about you! Bothe my husband and I are retired...it works, but takes a lot of patience...I retired seven years before he did...have fun and stay busy!

By WifeofPWP On 2012.12.17 11:47
My husband was on STD & is now just going on LTD. While I initially think it was difficult in the beginning not going off to work everyday, as he also has been in the workforce since his teens, the reduction in his stress level really contributes to his ability to "manage" the PD much better. He exercises daily, which I can't stress enough is the best "medicine" for anyone with PD. It probably took -and is taking -more adjustment on my part as I work full time, than on his part to the transition of being home. It's different no doubt, but we are both adjusting & I am getting spoiled as I get used to having the laundry & shopping done now. He says the activities keep him moving & that is what he needs to do most - keep moving & keep active!

By parkinit On 2012.12.18 20:51
Congratulations to you both and may your journey be the best you can make it!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you