For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Lifting His Weight Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2012.12.25 18:30
I almost titled this post "supporting my husband in bed," but realized that might suggest something entirely different!

I'm still learning how to be a partner to my husband. Lately I'm finding it worrisome that once or twice at night and in the morning, when he feels real urgency to get up to use the urinal, or get to the bathroom, he is so stiff that I have to physically lift him. He really can't get out of bed on his own until the morning Sinemet kicks in. As this has become routine I can feel that my back and shoulders are protesting. Fortunately he and I are similar in size and weight--neither of us very big--so that so far I've been able to figure out how to use leverage to help him move without injuring myself. But I wonder if there are places where I can get information about how to help him. I am pretty concerned about this. We had a PT out once to get some help, but my husband insisted to him that he "could get out of bed," not adding "sometimes, but not always," so we didn't get all of the advice we might have gotten.

By Trusting On 2012.12.25 19:47
You could ask your doctor to recommend an Occupational Therapist to help him and you learn how to accomplish these things with less pain. My grandaughter is in school to become an occupational therapist and she has already been helpful to my husband with his movements.

I don't know if your doctor would have to refer your husband or if you can just go to one on your own. My husband is treated at the Veterans Administration and they have these therapist available to him.

Good luck. I know this is very hard for both of you.

By jcoff012 On 2012.12.25 23:39
As my MIL became less agile, her doctor recommended a few sessions with a physical therapist to teach her and my FIL HOW to get out of bed, how to roll over and how he could help her maneuver...She was on private insurance and Medicare, so the therapist was covered. I agree, please contact your neuro who should have plenty of contacts to help you. Good luck. Jane

By parkinit On 2012.12.27 12:12
My husband has a swivel bar by his bed that has a handle he can use at a few different levels.

Also, I have found that rather than pulling him out of bed, it was easier on my body if once he rolled on his side, I pushed up on his back while still laying in bed myself.

Maybe I started to do this because I didn't want to get out of bed myself (LOL), but it IS easier on both of our shoulders and arms. :)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you