For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic vision problems with Parkinson's Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By JeannieLar On 2012.12.31 18:44
Greetings, It has been a long while since I have been to this wonderful source of help and community and I apologize, and I need help.

My husband was diagnosed with PD in 2008 and his symptoms have been well controled with medication: Levocarb 100/25 (17 a day) Levocarb CR 200/50 (1 a day) clonazepam 0.5 (2.5 per day), Quetiapine 150 mg (1 at bedtime), Gabapentin 600 mg (2 1/2 per day), Memantine 10mg ( 1 in AM and 1 in PM), Flouxetine Hcl 20 mg (1 each morning after breakfast)., though they have been worsening slowly and meds have been increased as needed to the amounts I wrote above.

Now he is developing problems with his vision. He says his vision is out of focus or blurred. The opthalmologist says it is dry eye, though my husband says it doesn't feel like dry eye and after almost 3 weeks of using drops 4 times a day there is no improvement. We have tried different ones and use the thicker gel at bedtime.

I have read some online articles that say blurry vision can occur with Parkinson's and I would appreciate hearing from others who help their loved one with this problem - it is a scary symptom.
Thank you all,
Jeannie

By lurkingforacure On 2012.12.31 20:34
Vision issues are well known and documented in PD; our neuro actually has hand outs about this. There are tracking issues, peripheral vision issues, spatial issues, double vision, blurry vision, etc.

The easiest way to tell if they are PD-related or are strictly a physical problem with the eye itself is to see how his vision is when he is medicated and functioning well....if the vision improves, it's PD related. If his vision problem persists even though he is medicated and otherwise functioning well, it is probably a physical eye problem.

Many eye docs do not understand how PD affects the eye/vision, and that is very unfortunate. Again, we caregivers find ourselves in the position of having to educate the experts!

By parkinit On 2013.01.12 22:05
VERY common. My spouse has burry vision which gets worse at night due to eye strain. He also has prisms to correct double vision both horizontally and vertically.

By dkleinert On 2013.01.25 19:52
It was explained to us by an Opthamologist at Duke that the muscles that hold the eye in place develope tremor and become weakened with PD, much like the vocal cords do, and so the voice is softer. My PD husband has double vision, and the prisoms that he prescribed for his glasses have helped. Check into that. We have to change his glasses about once every 6 months.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.25 23:58
Hi D!, Ltns, just sticking my nose in with my two cents worth. (You know me). Glad the Eye Doc was open to and knows PD effects the eyes also. Just one thing to clear up, the muscles develop tremor is right but it isn't that they become weak it is the on going tremor. Many doctors are under the assumption that the muscles weaken. Even some Neurologists think that leaning is because one side becomes weakened from PD so the "stronger" side pulls Us to that side. That is false it is the slow contracting of muscles or cramping like of muscles on one side that pulls Us over and not a weakening of any muscles. But Kudos to the eye Doctor for understanding PD's part in the eye problem. Just wanted to clear that up. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By dkleinert On 2013.01.26 00:21
Thanks as always for the great info Lohengrin - you are so awesome! Wish we could give you an honorary doctorate in PD!! HUGS dear friend!

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.26 01:02
D? Honorary? I've lived with this damn disease for so long I think I've earned a full actual doctorate! lol thanks My Friend!

By parkinit On 2013.01.30 02:23
A bit more info on the eye "muscles" and "tremor." My spouse doesn't have PD with tremor, but he still has these eye problems - double vision, poor vision in general, etc.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.30 08:39
parkinit, Have you ever stared into your husbands eyes looking for a tremor in them? Most people don't look or even think there could be a tremor involving the eyes. Even the slightest tremor in the eyes can raise heck with vision.

By jaxrock On 2013.01.30 09:53
Unfortunately, my husband is also dealing with poor vision........keeps changing glasses, light in room, etc.....but, vision is getting worse.

Our eye doctor was quite blunt and honest about the effects PD has on vision...due to the eye muscle involvement.

It's sad....my husband keeps expecting better vision with new glasses.....

For an avid reader.........and writer......it's especially devastating.

Another terrible symptom of a terrible disease!!

By parkinit On 2013.02.01 11:35
Okay, Lo. You are right yet again! :)

I had not thought of my beloved's eyes wandering across my face as being a tremor and never questioned it. I guess I thought he was so enraptured by my beauty that it was difficult to take it all in in one pointed stare (LOL).

The other night, I asked him to stare at my nose, no other place on my face, and I noted that his eyes kept darting to what appeared to be other parts of my face. I asked him if he was moving his eyes to other parts of my face on purpose, and he said "no." So, there you have it. I have learned yet something else about PD - eye tremors - even for those who don't have external tremors. Thanks for the knowledge and insight.

By jaxrock On 2013.02.01 17:09
I'm amazed............because of these posts, I decided to test my husband's eyes...
They DO tremor when he tries to look straight at me.................

I explained to him that it's a "normal" side effect of PD - He said "so, there's nothing that can be done?" I said "No..........but doesn't it make you feel better knowing there's a real reason for your vision problems."

Of course, I'm sure it's hard for him to digest that fact.....but, now he may be more accepting of the weirdness of his vision..........

Thank you all for this information...................I had no idea......

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.01 20:17
Jaxrock? Has your husbands eye doctor even talked about prisms? As D and parkinit explained above they work sometimes with our eye problems. I don't know if they would work in your husbands case but it is worth a try to ask. If the eye doctor isn't aware of using them ask him to look it up and see if they might be of help. We won't know until you try. we're all in this together Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jaxrock On 2013.02.01 21:33
Prisms? I never would have thought to ask the eye doctor about that...

My husband has an upcoming appt with the doctor........I'll be sure to ask about it.

Thank you, Lohengr1n!!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you